Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot from AHCI CD-Rom: Operating System Not Found

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sam1am

sam1am

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

Hi, my computer crashed last night and when I have tried to switch it on since it gives me the above message.

I have tried entering setup by pressing F2 and changing the hard disk to be the primary boot device, but the same thing occurs.

I have created a Windows 7 32-Bit recovery disk by downloading the iso file on my dad's pc and burning that to a dvd. I am able to load this, but

when it first starts up it has a table supposed to list operating systems but it is blank and I cannor select anything. It says if my operating system isn't listed, "click load drivers and install drivers for your hard disks" but I don't know where on earth these are located and neither does google seem to.

then working through the option on the menu:

-if I click start-up repair it tells me "startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically"

-if I click system restore I get an error message saying I must specify which windows installation to restore

-if I click system image recover it gives me an error message saying "windows cannot find a system image on this computer" and if I try to select one none appear.

Any idea of what I can do now? :(

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sam1am

sam1am
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:17 AM

Oh and also on the startup repair diagnosis and details it says amongst other things "Root cause found: MBR is corrupt". Sounds ominous.

Edited by sam1am, 15 August 2011 - 05:18 AM.

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:08 AM

I have had this issue when removing Linux from a dual boot machine in the past, sam1am. You may be able to repair this by running bootrec.exe /fixmbr. I have used this command successfully while booted from Windows 7 install media. Boot from the install media > choose Repair Your Computer > Command Prompt > type bootrec.exe /fixmbr > Enter.

If Install media cannot find the OS, try typing this in the same command console:
bootsect.exe /nt60 C: (or replace “C:” with the drive letter that Windows is installed to)
bootsect.exe /nt60 SYS (this will repair the boot sector on system partition)
bootsect.exe /nt60 ALL (repairs boot sector on all possible Windows partitions)

#4 sam1am

sam1am
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply. By windows 7 install media, do you mean something like the original CD used to install windows 7? Unfortunately I don't have that as it was pre-installed on my laptop, I just have this recovery disk which I burnt. But I thought I would try what you said anyway and see what happens, and this is what it said:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
A device attached to the system is not functioning

bootsect.exe /nt60 C:
Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode

Could not map drive C: to an assicated volume device object.

bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

The system partition was not found:
The requested system device cannot be found.

bootsect.exe /nt60 ALL

Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes

Don't know if that is of use to anyone or not. The last one sounded promising but when I tried to boot the computer normally the problem still persisted. But thanks very much for your help!

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

There could be several reasons for this issue, sam1am.

Care to share what was going on when the machine "crashed"?

Try removing and then rseating the HDD.

Again in recovery command prompt, type:

diskpart > enter
list disk > enter

What shows in the cmd window relating to disks?

Edited by bludgard, 15 August 2011 - 02:53 PM.

#6 sam1am

sam1am
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

As far as I can recall it crashed during pretty much normal use, I was messing around making playlists on itunes and maybe had say chrome and skype open, and it just froze. I switched it off after I was sure it wasnt going to so anything and when switching on again this happens.

I do have a feeling it is something to do with the hard disk, it doesnt seem to be able to find or recognise it at all. I have tried loading a version of Linux Ubuntu from a CD to see if I could somehow access my files that way and it doesn't seem to be possible.

As far as reseating the HD I will probably try and take it to a repair shop somewhere rather than continue to tinker too much seeing as I don't really know what I'm doing. I take it those last to commands you suggested are only relevant if the hd has been reseated, if not I can try them anyway.

Thanks again for your help.

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

The commands can be used anytime. Just want to find out if Windows recognizes the drive(s).

How old is the HDD?

#8 sam1am

sam1am
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

Um well I got the laptop about a year and a half ago so I would say that long. And ah okay I'll just try those now....

diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart Version 6.1.7600
Copyright © 199-2008 Microsoft Coporation
On computer: MININT-C30MOOT

list disk

Disk 0 Status: Online Size 0B Free 0B and columns Dyn and Gpt are blank.

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

If you reboot while pressing F8, can you select Restore option?

Who manufactures the HDD?

Can you provide info on the machine in question?

Make/Model should suffice....

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

Info, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/black-screen-boot-from-ahci-cd-rom-disk-boot/92945844-2bb5-400e-a579-4390817c8a7d .

If the data reflected in your error...includes reference to "PXE" and you are unable to change the boot options in the BIOS...my guess would be that you need a new CMOS battery.

Louis

#11 sam1am

sam1am
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:08 AM

If you reboot while pressing F8, can you select Restore option?

Who manufactures the HDD?

Can you provide info on the machine in question?

Make/Model should suffice....

Rebooting whilst pressing F8 gives me a number of options inc: Safe Mode, Enable Boot Logging, Enable low-res video, Last Known Good Configuration, Directory Services Restore Mode (is that what you meant? from it's description I would guess not), Debugging Mode, Disable automatic restart on system failiure, disable driver signature enforcement and also start normally. I tried selecting one of these and it just started the recovery disk thing again.

The laptop is a samsung r520 and I'm afriad I don't know who manufactures the HD

Info, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/black-screen-boot-from-ahci-cd-rom-disk-boot/92945844-2bb5-400e-a579-4390817c8a7d .

If the data reflected in your error...includes reference to "PXE" and you are unable to change the boot options in the BIOS...my guess would be that you need a new CMOS battery.

Louis

so far I have seen no reference in to PXE, and I changed the boot priority options in the BIOS seemingly successfully, although it did nothing to help it did let me do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users