Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Stocker

Stocker

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:24 AM

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)
Please install the OS language pack to enable this functionality: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Language pack

I can't seem to upgrade my Windows because of the language pack, what do I have to do to fix this?

Edited by Stocker, 15 August 2011 - 10:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:07 AM

What version of Windows are you trying to upgrade to?

#3 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

Current OS: Win7 ultimate
OS I wanna upgrade to: Win7 ultimate

I was thinking of upgrading to the same Windows version instead of reinstalling the whole thing. I removed important registry accidentally because I didn't pay attention when using RevoUninstaller to remove a Microsoft product. Now system restore and •sfc /scannow" won't work at all.

Edited by Stocker, 15 August 2011 - 11:03 AM.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

Without an image backup or a backup of the registry entries that were removed (to merge the entries back to the registry), looks as though a reinstall is called for.

#5 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

I went and try to reinstall like you suggested and found out that System Restore works when I load it from the disk. Now my problem is fixed, but I still wanna do the upgrade.

EDIT: It's still saying "Please install the OS language pack to enable this functionality: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Language pack" but I can't find the language pack to install. I can't even remove this program since it's nowhere in "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features" or "Installed Updates"

Edited by Stocker, 15 August 2011 - 11:06 AM.

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

What language do you need, Stocker?

Can you not download this from Windows Update?

If your machine is set to English, sounds as if your Windows install media is of a different language....

Edited by bludgard, 15 August 2011 - 11:43 AM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

Sounds to me like you are trying to repair a current installation of the operating system and not upgrade. An upgrade would be from Windows 7 32bit to Windows 7 64bit. You cannot upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to the same version of Windows 7 Ultimate it is a called a repair.

#8 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

Yeah your right I'm trying to do a repair install but this message "Please install the OS language pack to enable this functionality: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Language pack" is stopping me from doing so

Edited by Stocker, 15 August 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

What exactly happened to your computer, that has prompted you to attempt an operating system repair?

#10 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

thx for the help guys, i figured it's better to just reinstall

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:29 PM

thx for the help guys, i figured it's better to just reinstall

No worries. I suggest backing up your machine if you must fiddle around. Windows 7 has a dependable native (my opinion) image backup program that is simple and free to use.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

#12 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:07 AM

Don't worry I learned my lesson, I'm only gonna use the default uninstaller for programs from Microsoft. But I'll try to start backing up from now on.

Edited by Stocker, 16 August 2011 - 03:08 AM.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:46 AM

So you used a manual method to remove programs like cleaning stuff from the registry?

I use and recommend Revo Uninstaller its a good program for those programs that just ont uninstall via add/remove or programs and features.

#14 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

...I didn't pay attention when using RevoUninstaller to remove a Microsoft product.

I do not think the RevoUninstaller was the problem, Stocker. It was (I would guess) digging around in the registry and not paying the utmost attention when doing so. A few leftover reg entries when uninstalling will cause less problems on a system than removing reg entries that may be tied to oter programs installed.

Happy to hear you will start a backup regimen. I cannot help myself from fiddlin' around on my machines; I cannot tell you how many times an image backup has saved my a**. :clapping:

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

...I didn't pay attention when using RevoUninstaller to remove a Microsoft product.

I do not think the RevoUninstaller was the problem, Stocker. It was (I would guess) digging around in the registry and not paying the utmost attention when doing so. A few leftover reg entries when uninstalling will cause less problems on a system than removing reg entries that may be tied to oter programs installed.

Happy to hear you will start a backup regimen. I cannot help myself from fiddlin' around on my machines; I cannot tell you how many times an image backup has saved my a**. :clapping:

I missed that edit, because I dont read previous posts to topics I always wait for a new one instead of an edit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users