Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Linksys Cable Modem?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Xezat

Xezat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:32 AM

Ok so here's the basic deal...trying to help my mother/step-father with their setup here since I'm visiting. They have Comcast internet and a relatively new Linksys E2000 router and a Linksys Cable Modem (not sure of the model # atm, can probably look it up).

So anyways, the main problem is that the signal will just cut out and die. From what I've noticed:

-It's unlikely to be any of the cables, as the main one is split into the TVs and they all work. They've tried using several different cables plugged into the modem as well without any difference, in that the signal will just randomly die out
-It's unlikely to be the router itself, as everything connects to it just fine and can read it when it's active

Now here's what is leading me to suspect the cable modem...every time the signal drops, what they've been doing to re-establish a connection is to unplug the cable they feed into the modem, then reconnect it back in, sometimes with a bit of wiggling to get it to work. They also have it on the ground for whatever odd reason, so there could have been dust/dirt and such involved as well (even though my mother keeps the house pretty darn clean). And again, they've tested several different cables with the modem without any noticeable difference (in that the signal dies out eventually and randomly), and it's hard to think that all of them are defective when some are being used with other devices just fine.

So before having to go out and buy a new modem to test this theory, can anyone else deduce from what I've listed that the modem is likely the source of the problem? If I remember right from what they told me, the router they bought is within a year old, with the modem being about a year or 2 older, and again everything works fine with regards to the router when stuff is connecting.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users