Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Hacked Mouse?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ATS Larry

ATS Larry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hello,

I am of course the family IT guy without a doubt. My family always calls on me when they need computer help and I am of course an IT Administrator and own my own IT company, Axim Technology Solutions.

My in-laws have been experiencing a problem with their computer where it appears that someone has hacked into their computer system.

I performed a netstat -a and netstat -b on the machine and obtained some connections that were incoming / connected to the computer from other ISP's.

The computer runs Windows XP and has a wired keyboard and a wireless Microsoft mouse with a USB receiver that is a box with a long USB cord on it.

I rebooted the into Safe Mode with Networking and guess what? The hacker was still connected. I was like.. well, I got something for him.

I then shut down the computer and booted into normal Safe Mode (WITHOUT Networking). Even the network cable was unplugged from the computer. Guess what? The hacker was STILL connected. The hacked then clicked on my mother in-law's username on the computer and kept moving the mouse back and forth over the password field as if he was wanting us to to type in the password.

I then said... let me try something, it's IMPOSSIBLE for this hacker to still be connected to the computer and there is no possible way for them to be connected to the computer because 1, we are in Safe Mode WITHOUT NETWORKING and the network cable is unplugged from the computer.

But guess what? They were connecting through the mouse and somehow have hacked the mouse to use it as a wifi device and the wireless mouse would still get a connection into the computer system somehow.

I have never in my life seen a wireless mouse become hacked and be used a a wifi device or a hacking tool.

---

Since this has occurred. I want answers and I want to know how this is even possible? So therefore I have made my post here and I want someone with hacking experience to answer this and let me know how this is possible and what software is used to hack a wireless mouse and how this could have happened. Any insight to this and anyone's input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Larry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users