Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEED HELP upgrading hardware and software!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 techforcity

techforcity

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Ok, so I have a client (doctors office) that is running Windows 2000 Professional and their computer is ancient ... like really old. They asked me to upgrade their system and I told them I would look into it and I would do it for them. So I bought a computer from Best Buy that was on sale and would be more than sufficient for what they do. It is a Compaq CQ5814.

So I took the hard drive (IDE) and imaged it with Acronis True Image Home and then cloned it on another hard drive (SATA). Acronis lets you restore from unsimilar hardware too, so it comes in handy. So I got this done and put the hard drive in the new computer and it booted up to an error, SMART error B8. It then asked me to boot with F1 and it started to boot up to Windows 2000 and then just rebooted and it kept doing this.

I then tried to run the repair but it said the partition was either damaged or unformatted. I have another computer (HP dc7800) and I put the hard drive in this computer and it still booted to the SMART error but when I hit f1 it booted Windows 2000 just fine. Of course it needed all the drivers but why in the world would this computer boot up with the hard drive and not the other? I then ran the upgrade to Windows XP Pro and it gave me a crapload of i386 errors that I kept ignoring. Now I have XP installed and there are all sorts of errors coming up when trying to install stuff etc.

It says that the windows installer is not correctly installed, and also I had to reinstall explorer cause it wasn't there when it booted up. Also, sql server 2000 doesn't start automatically either.

Does anyone know why I am having these issues with trying to put the hard drive in the new computer as opposed to the one that it is working in?

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I need this done within the month so I am looking for anything to try.

Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 14 August 2011 - 09:01 PM.
Moved from XP to Windows NT.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

The drivers/settings for motherboard A are on the hard drive...and they don't (normally) work for motherboard B.

Louis

#3 techforcity

techforcity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

Yeah but it should still boot up somewhat, letting me install drivers needed to make it run smooth on the hardware.

#4 divided_sky

divided_sky

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

Going from the old IDE drive to the newer SATA drive is causing the issue. The newer SATA drive has S.M.A.R.T. Drive Monitoring where the old drive did not. See this excerpt "For a long time, computers had no early warning system to inform you that your hard drive was damaged or close to failure. All this changed with the addition of S.M.A.R.T., an acronym standing for Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology. S.M.A.R.T. was developed by a number of major hard disk drive manufacturers with a goal of increasing the overall reliability of their drives. This technology enables your PC or computer to predict the failure of your hard drive with overwhelming accuracy. As a result of this accuracy, the S.M.A.R.T. technology has become standard and is used in almost every hard disk drive built today." http://www.harddriverecovery.org/smart_detection.html
Divided Sky

#5 techforcity

techforcity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

Ok, but the hard has no errors on it. I've ran other tests to make sure the hard drive is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users