Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can only boot into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nadelaney

nadelaney

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

This is one of those problems that might involve software rather than hardware, but I'll give it a go here.
First, My system:
Windows XP Pro SP3
AMD Phenom II X3 700e 2.40 GHz
Biostar mobo A780L
4 gb Crucial PC6400 DDR2 mem
2 sata drives 500 GB each
using onboard video AMD 760G ATI 3000

My problem:
I rebuilt my computer 2 weeks ago with new mobo, cpu, mem, 1 sata drive & power supply (600watts). It ran fine for about two weeks then suddenly would not boot. Could not boot even into safe mode. I had not installed anything (programs or devices) just prior to the failure to boot.

I unplugged all devices (scanner, printers, 2nd monitor, etc) but still could not boot - it seemed as though there was a blue screen just before the computer froze, but it just flashed and I could not see what it said.

Eventually I figured out how to fix the bios so the blue screen would remain in view. Got message: STOP: 0X0000007E ()xC0000005,0X806339C0,0XBA4C3428,0XBA4C3124)

What I have tried so far:
I used the boootcfg /rebuild command from the recovery console, but still no luck. Also ran "fixboot" then I tried doing a "repair install" from my original Windows system disk (actually from a slipstream version with SP3). No luck.

I plugged in my old ide boot disk (which I had cloned to the new sata drive), but got a system file missing eror message. I did a boootcfg /rebuild on THAT drive and AM now able to boot into safe mode - but it won't boot if 2nd monitor or sata drives are plugged into the mobo (and will not start in safe mode w networking)

I have programs installed that were written by acquaintances and are not able to be re-installed, so I hate to wipe the drive (i.e. do a new OS install) - especially if there is a hardware problem rather than a software one (i.e., the mobo) and I'm trying to get to the root of the prob in time to send the mobo back if it is indeed the problem.

I do not have any electronic diagnostic tools - and am completely lost when it comes to such things.

I checked to be sure that everything is securely seated (all plugs, cables, etc)

Don't know if anyone can help, but I would appreciate any that is offered.

PS Microsoft advises that I update the bios, but I'm a little leery of this...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

<<I rebuilt my computer 2 weeks ago with new mobo, cpu, memory...>>

And you used the hard drive which had drivers/settings from an entirely different system configuration?

You might take a look at Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html .

Louis

#3 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

Try this: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Download the ISO Image
Burn the Image to a disc
Boot to the disc

Either run the Drive Fitness test (under hard drive diagnostics section) or the test that is applicable to the manufacturer of your hard drive. Note: the drive fitness test will only give you a pass or fail result (unless you have a IBM or Hitachi Hard Drive). Manufacturer tests will give you a repair option if they find that the drive is defective. At any rate, run advanced tests or long (instead of quick or basic) on any program that you use.

If your hard drive tests good try the following:

Try the fixmbr command int he recovery console.

if that doesnt work, Im afraid your only option is to format and install your OS.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

The basic problem is that you have drivers/settings on that hard drive...which do not fit the motherboard.

To be honest...I'm somewhat surprised that you passed activation because all the changes you listed...point to a different system.

Theoretically (this doesn't always work), you should be able to uninstall all drivers belonging to the former ccomponents...and then install the correct drivers...but it's tedious, not guarnteed to work.

Nothing is guaranteed to work, outside of a clean install.

Louis

#5 nadelaney

nadelaney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

Thank you both so much. I haven't had a chance to try your approach, Neil - but I will.
Forumaddict, thank you too - and yes, it shouldn't have been able to work at all, but per the article you recommended, I did FIRST boot into safe mode and removed the old drivers. Then I booted from the mobo driver disk and installed the new drivers - and maybe that's why it worked - but there is so much else (leftover registry probs even) from the old system, I am very likely better off going with a clean instal, <heavy sigh> I hate to loose my little, non-reinstallable apps, but if Neil's suggestion doesn't do the trick, I'll spend the week-end looking under the bed for old installation disks (that were probably carried off by hostile dust bunnies.)

In any case, I thank you again for looking at my problem.

Best regars,
ND

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users