Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean external HD w Nod 32 ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mxsurf

mxsurf

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Or can I scan the entire External (Seagate) HD before "bringing it home ?" or what about music? or photos?...thanks for any help you can provide......Tah, Mike
I followed the instructions to backup, so I ran out and bought my first External HD (Seagate Go Flex) it asked me if I wanted to use the downloading software, and I did. The following day after further contemplation I wondered if the viruses came along.Probably so...well the XP "Defender" didn't defend the virus attack. First was the Redirect search engine virus - often to Scour or Mevio, then imitation Microsoft "Warning - Crucial Error " in red letters, with a fix button for $69. Then large boxes with nice colorful graphics to various applications and I was unable to open anything longer than 1-2 seconds. I tried later when I could get thru to install Malwarebytes and later Kaspersky virus removal dload - which ran 6-7 hrs. The next day someone at Microsoft spent 1 1/2 hr at least with the remote assistance and ran Combofix (yes I read the warnings) But he was very sharp and quick. My Dell had to be revived with a clean install the next blue page day. Its faster now and I have ESET NOD 32.

Edited by mxsurf, 14 August 2011 - 11:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 15,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

I find it hard to be sure exactly what your asking. Don't try to copy files from an external drive at the same time as it's being scanned by the AV program. Or are you asking if you can rely on the resident scanner scanning the files as they're copied, without doing a full scan on the drive first? If so, then a full scan will be more thorough than the resident scanner, so scanning the entire drive will be safer than letting the resident scanner watch for viruses as files are copied. You can't be sure a resident scanner is scanning for every virus in the database, as it could make the copy process really slow.

When you say what about music or photos, do you mean if they need to be scanned? Some malware can utilise image or music files, or be disguised as these files, so to be safe, when bringing portable media from an untrusted location you should scan everything.

Edited by Platypus, 14 August 2011 - 08:16 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users