Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No taskbar, no ctl alt del, safe mode hangs on any virus check

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mongobird

mongobird

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

I have a kid's XP pro sp3 system which was presented to me with wallpaper, no icons, and no taskbar. power down. Boot. Went to safe mode. Tried to look around, and after 3 minutes, was unable to pick on anything. Subsequently tried malwarebytes, spybot and avg, all hang after a couple of minutes of scanning, and with no commonality in their hanging. USB sticked a copy of SAS, and same thing happens. Created a bootcd for Avira rescue, and booted that. Scans OK, and when I went to clean things, it too hung. Smartctl says nothing wrong with drive, and it's running at 32C, so I don't think there is a HW situation.

Kid allowed he had hit various gaming sites.

I've spent about 7 hours on this, and I am about ready to pull a 1 month old image of the disk, and start over.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Hello, try running SFC

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy. (THe image you have may suffice)

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mongobird

mongobird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

Hello, try running SFC

You might be on to something there. After I posted, I figured I should get a forensic copy of the partition. After Clonezilla ran for a while there were a variety of UDMA and memory errors. A quick memtest run did not show anything wrong. So I have SeaTools running a long test right now. Basically, I'm trying to rule out the harddrive, the interface and the memory.

I don't think the system would run long enough to do sfc, based upon my experience today.

I'll report back when I know more, or when I get a sfc run done.

Thanks.

#4 mongobird

mongobird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

I established that the harddrive had failed, as determined by SeaTools. SMART didn't report it, but after a couple of long passes with Seatools it started. What I found was after the disk got to 35C it would start failing. If I let it cool down (or put the laptop in the freezer) then things would run well for a while. Ultimately,I'll probably have to revert back to an older image on that machine. But I did run sfc as you suggested.

The new drive is in hand, and it's just an issue of whether I can repair the data and programs I have, or whether when the new drive goes in, it gets imaged to an older image.

Thanks for your help, and tip. I actually thought I had posted back earlier, but for some reason things didn't work.

#5 mongobird

mongobird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

I established that the harddrive had failed, as determined by SeaTools. SMART didn't report it, but after a couple of long passes with Seatools it started. What I found was after the disk got to 35C it would start failing. If I let it cool down (or put the laptop in the freezer) then things would run well for a while. Ultimately,I'll probably have to revert back to an older image on that machine. But I did run sfc as you suggested.

The new drive is in hand, and it's just an issue of whether I can repair the data and programs I have, or whether when the new drive goes in, it gets imaged to an older image.

Thanks for your help, and tip. I actually thought I had posted back earlier, but for some reason things didn't work.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

You're welcome and thanks for posting back.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users