Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IIS 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Reddoug

Reddoug

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

Hi All

I volunteer at a Computers for Schools orginzation and I am trying to setup up Windows Software Update Server on Server 2008. We use XP OS on the computers we setup. I am trying to save time by using WSUS for updates instead of downloading them from Microsoft. We do not have the fastest connection with the ISP. I am having troubles getting IIS 7 setup up. Does anyone have any experence with seting up WSUS? I have set group policy objects and my test computer shows up in my WSUS manager.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Doug

Edited by hamluis, 14 August 2011 - 08:03 PM.
Moved from XP to Windows NT.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 divided_sky

divided_sky

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

Would you state what you exact problem is? When installing WSUS, the IIS part is installed automatically. You do not need to configure it UNLESS you already have another website configured to use the same port. Please be more specific and I will try to help.
Divided Sky

#3 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:44 PM

Hi

Sorry for the slow response.

I am not using any other web server. My problem is I do not think WSUS is working correctly. I have troubles pushing out updates and I do not know how to check for updates on the WSUS from the client. The other problem is the client computer gray's out the options in the update control panel. I am thinking that it is making a change in the registry when it joins the domain. The option were available before it joined the domain. This would have to be changed back after computer is set up and sent out but I do not know were the change is made. These computers go to different schools and disadvantage families so automatic updates would have to be turned on. The other thing I do not have enough experience to know which updates to approve. I this case my little knowledge dangerous. I was trying to come up with away to save some time setting up the computers. Downloading over 100 updates from Microsoft takes awhile with one computer, doing several at a time really slows things down.

Thanks for your reply. Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users