Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Appearant rootkit

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 rootsd

rootsd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

Hi,

I encountered what I identified as a virus while browsing. I immediately shut down and rebooted but the virus continued. It gave warnings of disk errors, disk full and others. It also offered to fix by clicking on links. I ignored and attemped to system restore a few days back. I found many directories hidden and the start menu blank. I continued by unhiding the files and directories and manually running system restore from the command prompt in the directory. The restore killed the virus but now the favorites in IExplore were missing and all Google results redirected. I have not been able to fix this but have learned I probably had the repairer virus and now have a rootkit.

I have followed your advice to attempt fix but have this result to report.
1. tdsskiller runs but does nothing at all even when renamed as advised.
2. GMER does not run correctly with random name. It reports something about script in a volitile area on start and then runs with no results. Only some of the options are available on the menu.
3. The Microsoft malware and one of their other programs from their site does nothing.
4. rootkitrevealer gives a small output shown here:
HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SAC* 8/12/2004 12:36 AM 0 bytes Key name contains embedded nulls (*)
HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SAI* 8/12/2004 12:36 AM 0 bytes Key name contains embedded nulls (*)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG\Seed 8/14/2011 11:52 AM 80 bytes Data mismatch between Windows API and raw hive data.
5.dds.scr runs and reports but takes about 10 minutes.

Thank you for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

Are you able to post the DDS logs? If so, please post them in a reply to this topic, and if you are not able to post the logs, please post a reply explaining why you are unable to.

Please note that I am not a member of the Malware Removal Team and will not be assisting you in removing the infection. I'm simply helping you to post the information they need in order to assist you.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 rootsd

rootsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

Hi,

The logs should be attached now. Sorry I thought they were on the first post.

Attached Files

#4 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,631 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

Posted Image In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resouce! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/414410 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

Posted Image If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner.

Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.

Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#5 rootsd

rootsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

I continue to experience problems with Google results being redirected and the favorites menu does not show my list. I can add to favorites and the entry stays but if I add a link that should be in the old list it says it is already there. Also the browser shuts down periodically.

GMER does not run correctly. I did not get a log from it. When starting it says it can not run in a volatile area.

Attached Files

#6 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

Hello and Welcome to the forums!

My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Somethings to remember while we are working together.

• Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!
  • please Do not Attach logs or put in code boxes.
  • Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.
  • Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.
  • Do not run anything while running a fix.
  • Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!

Click on the Watch Topic Button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.

Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

Run Combofix:

You may be asked to install or update the Recovery Console (Win XP Only) if this happens please allow it to do so (you will need to be connected to the internet for this)

Before you run Combofix I will need you to turn off any security software you have running, If you do not know how to do this you can find out >here< or >here<

Combofix may need to reboot your computer more than once to do its job this is normal.

You can download Combofix from one of these links.
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
1. Close any open browsers or any other programs that are open.
2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
When finished, it will produce a report for you.

Note 1: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

Note 2: If you recieve an error "Illegal operation attempted on a registery key that has been marked for deletion." Please restart the computer

"information and logs"

• In your next post I need the following
  • Log from Combofix
  • let me know of any problems you may have had
  • How is the computer doing now?

Gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

If I Have Not Replied To One Of My Topics In 48 Hrs Please Bump The Topic

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

Proud Graduate Of Malware Removal University

#7 rootsd

rootsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

Hi,

Combofix ran OK and needed almost 1 hour. I continue to have Google redirects. These are the links that often comes up

http://star.feedsmixer.org/100/10586/search.php?k=Python%20Recumbent&ts=1004TSE_2&num=4&subid=itcg-20342

http://www.age-health.com/results1.aspx?keywords=test

Attached File  ComboFix.txt   7.81KB   3 downloads

#8 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:56 AM

Hello

I want you to run this tool for me next.

tdsskiller:

Please read carefully and follow these steps.
  • Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.
  • doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
  • If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

Gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

#9 rootsd

rootsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

Hi,

Thank you very much for the assistance. I got Avast to run and it found and cured a rootkit. The TDSSkiller will now run and reports nothing found so I feel the system is fixed. Hope you don't have damage from the storm. The service from this site is wonderful to have available.

#10 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

These logs are looking alot better. But we still have some work to do.

Please print out these instructions, or copy them to a Notepad file. It will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps..

uninstall some programs

1. click on start
2. then go to settings
3. after that you need control panel
4. look for the icon add/remove programs
click on the following programs

Adobe Reader 6.0.1

and click on remove

Update Adobe Reader

Recently there have been vunerabilities detected in older versions of Adobe Reader. It is strongly suggested that you update to the current version.

You can download it from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
After installing the latest Adobe Reader, uninstall all previous versions.
If you already have Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition installed or do not wish to have it installed UNcheck the box which says Also Download Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition.

If you don't like Adobe Reader (53 MB), you can download Foxit PDF Reader(7 MB) from here. It's a much smaller file to download and uses a lot less resources than Adobe Reader.

Note: When installing FoxitReader, be carefull not to install anything to do with AskBar.
[/list]
Your Java is out of date.

It can be updated by the Java control panel
  • click on Start-> Control Panel (Classic View)-> Java (looks like a coffee cup) -> Update Tab -> Update Now.
  • An update should begin;
  • follow the prompts

Clear your Java Cache

• click on Start-> Control Panel (Classic View)-> Java (looks like a coffee cup)
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button
    • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH Checked
      Applications and Applets
      Trace and Log Files
  • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
    Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

TFC(Temp File Cleaner):

• Please download TFC to your desktop,
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close all open application windows.
  • Double-click TFC.exe to run the program.
  • If prompted, click "Yes" to reboot.
Note: Save your work. TFC will automatically close any open programs, let it run uninterrupted. It shouldn't take longer take a couple of minutes, and may only take a few seconds. Only if needed will you be prompted to reboot.

: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware :

• Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is Checked (ticked) except items in the C:\System Volume Information folder and click on Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply
    • If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Download HijackThis

• Go Here to download HijackThis Installer
  • Save HijackThis Installer to your desktop.
  • Double-click on the HijackThis Installer icon on your desktop. (Vista and Win 7 right click and run as admin)
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
  • Click on Install.
  • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
  • Once installed it will launch Hijackthis.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on Edit > Select All then click on Edit > Copy to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT use the AnalyseThis button its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
  • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

If you have problems running Hijackthis.

sometimes we have to run it like this To run HijackThis as an administrator,
rightclick HijackThis.exe (located: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe)
and select to run as administrator

"information and logs"

• In your next post I need the following

• Log From MBAM
  • report from Hijackthis
  • let me know of any problems you may have had
  • How is the computer doing now?

Gringo

#11 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

Hello

48 Hour bump

It has been more than 48 hours since my last post.

• do you still need help with this?
  • do you need more time?
  • are you having problems following my instructions?
  • if after 48hrs you have not replied to this thread then it will have to be closed!

Gringo

#12 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users