Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interesting Ram Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 obededom

obededom

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:37 AM

I'm having a strange memory problem. I'll give you as many details as I can think to give and set you up with the situation.

Details: HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop. Windows XP SP2.

First part of the the two-fold problem:
:cool: I SHOULD have 2 memory slots which support 1gb memory each (for a total of 2gb possible). Using Lavalys' Everest (a system diagnosis program), it shows I have 1gb RAM in 1 slot and 256mb RAM in the 2nd slot - therefore, Everest shows that my computer supports 2gb of RAM, allowing 1gb of RAM in each slot. This makes sense, since: 1)Originally, the computer came with 512mb RAM, with 2 sticks of 256mb in each slot and 2)I just bought a 1gb RAM stick - bringing the total to what it should be: 1.25gb RAM.

:flowers: However, System Properties only recognizes I have 1.12gb RAM - therefore, some way and somehow, it's only partially recognizing the 256mb stick of RAM (what in the world?), which leads to the second part of my problem...

Second part of the two-fold problem:
:cool: When I bought my 1gb stick of RAM and was installing it, I could only find 1 slot!

:trumpet: This slot is on the under-belly of the laptop. The harddrive, fans and battery all surround this slot. I also know that some older models, if not some new ones, have memory slots underneath the keyboard; however, I do not see any screws near the keyboard and I have a feeling that slots underneath it are unlikely.

:inlove: I know that I have 2 slots, as Everest shows and as this model (and most models) should come with 2 slots. I mean, it's gotta have 2 slots because otherwise, I couldn't have more than 1gb or RAM!

More problems:
:thumbsup: I don't have the manual for this laptop.

:woot: I've looked this problem up on various and numerous websites, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

----------

Some guidance would be appreciated and thanks for all the help,
~obededom~

Edited by obededom, 17 January 2006 - 01:41 AM.

"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:06 AM

HP Pavilion zv5000 Notebook PC: Manuals

Here's the manual, hope it helps.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:09 AM

step2.gif However, System Properties only recognizes I have 1.12gb RAM - therefore, some way and somehow, it's only partially recognizing the 256mb stick of RAM (what in the world?), which leads to the second part of my problem...

Your motherboards onboard video could be your culprit, system properties will show total minus memory dedicated to onboard video, but if you use system Information, it will show total installed RAM.

Edited by dc3, 17 January 2006 - 04:14 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:14 AM

correct,

with no vid card,
on-board video could be using 32-256mb of memory,
depending on what the board offers for this task.

The amount used for video display, etc. comes right off the top.
Add a video card, you get that back for system use.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users