Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


What adapter can be used with these speakers?

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blub


  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

I have three sets of used computer speakers that don't have an adapter, and I can't figure out what kind of adapter they require. And I'm well aware of the fact that these speakers aren't that great, but I can't afford to care. I was hoping someone could help me figure out what adapter I can use. Here are the speaker specs:

1) Dell A215
12V - 0.5A
Caution: This shall be used with power supply, Mfr. Leader Electronics type 41120050-C5 or Hon Kwang Electronics type HKA-1250EC-230, for CE only.

These adapters seem to be 230 volt and meant for use overseas, not in the U.S.

2) HP/Polk Audio - part number 5183-0171 and 5183-0172 - 9V
I think these speakers were meant to be used in the UK.
I tried contacting Polk Audio and HP, but they have no information on these speakers as they're from 1997 or 1998.

3) GCS-100 - 9V - I think these may be MidiLand speakers.

Can I even use the Dell and HP speakers here in the U.S.? None of the speakers indicate anything about the polarity and I don't know if it makes a difference about the mA. For example, I may have a 9V adapter that is 300 mA and I might have a 9V adapter that is 1000 mA. Can I use either one? And what about the watts? I'm sure I have an adapter that will work, I just want to make sure I use the right one so nothing gets damaged, but I don't know what to use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 rotor123


  • Moderator
  • 8,093 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

It isn't clear if you have the 230v adapters or not. If so and you can power them up you can measure the polarity. You might even find they would work. Just lower output power. I often take 12 volt computer fans and run them on 5volt to slow them down and make them quiet.

Other tham that Radio Shack is your friend.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Platypus


  • Global Moderator
  • 15,233 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

The correct polarity is vital. The required voltage should be observed - not significantly higher or the speaker electronics might be damaged, but could still work at reduced power on a bit lower voltage. For example the 12V speakers may well operate OK on 9V as mentioned above, with reduced power. The power supply needs to be rated at the necessary current or higher - lower can damage the supply. Again for the 12V 0.5A rating, the PSU needs at least 0.5A (500mA) specification. So for example a 12V 1A supply would be OK. A 300mA supply would be too low, whether 12V or 9V. It might still work at low volumes, but could easily overheat or go open circuit.
Top 5 things that never get done:


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users