Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop to LCD Connection problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alcastive

alcastive

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

Hello, I have bought recently Samsung LCD 32"' Series 3 and i want to connect it to my laptop i have also bought a VGA to HDMI cable since my laptop don't have HDMI anyway so after cable connection and Laptop configuration to load the desktop on 2 screens it didn;t work i always get no signal on the Samsung LCD.

Any help ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

If this is your TV/monitor, then it has a standard VGA (D-sub) input for connecting to a PC.

Samsung 32" C350 LCD TV Specifications

#3 alcastive

alcastive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

Yes it is this one but my Laptop doesn't have an HDMI port that's why i bought VGA out to HDMI so i connected VGA out to my laptop and HDMI to my LCD still didn;t work any suggestions ?

thanks for the help btw.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

What Dwarf is saying is that you don't need to have a HDMI port on your laptop, just connect the two VGA ports with a standard VGA cable.

"I connected VGA out to my laptop"

If the VGA on the adapter cable is labelled "VGA Out", then I'd think it is to convert HDMI input to VGA output, not the other way around.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 alcastive

alcastive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

I checked my cable and there was nothing labeled on the VGA side :S I will try to get a VGA to VGA cable. It's just i payed 30$ for this cable because it's a good one and i can't return it back or even change it for VGA to VGA cable, was trying to make it work.

Edited by alcastive, 15 August 2011 - 12:30 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

Do you have a link to the cable you bought so we can work out if it is perhaps the reverse to what you need?

#7 alcastive

alcastive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

No, and when i was at the store i explained them that it's my laptop that need the VGA out and the HDMI is for my LCD they give me this cable and said it will work.

Btw i don't have problem in buying other cable VGA to VGA but my friends told me that HDMI is better for quality i have Nvidia Quadro VGA on my laptop so i am afraid of buying a new cable and get a poor quality result i want to play Fifa 11 on my laptop and display it on my LCD.

Edited by alcastive, 17 August 2011 - 05:46 PM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:52 AM

HDMI is potentially a better quality signal if it starts out as HDMI, but your signal is VGA so converting it to HDMI can't make it any better than it already is. The only advantage would be if the cable does a better conversion from analog to digital than the LCD TV does, and I don't know how likely that would be. But a VGA cable costs little and should work, so you'd be better off than you are at the moment!

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:31 PM

IMHO if the TV has VGA in and the laptop has VGA out, that is the way to go. The VGA in will most likely support the TV Displays native resolution. Which is where it will look the best. If you were to get 1080i into the TV set via HDMI and the display is for example 768P which is a common resolution for 32" HDTVs then the TV has to convert to the LCD panels resolution.

That would allow you to have a higher display resolution on the TV from the laptop. Not necessarily the best look display. On my Computer I leave it set to 1366 by 768 from the computer via VGA. (768P)

The other reason is that you may have to play with the video on the laptop to eliminate Overscan whereas via VGA that should not be an issue.

Read the manual for supported resolutions and refresh rates on the TV.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 18 August 2011 - 04:32 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users