Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second hard drive does not work after reformatting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 axxa

axxa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

I am having a problem with some additional hard drives that I tried to install on my computer and I was wondering if anyone might help me with it.

I had 2 hard drives on my computer, the one that Windows was installed on and the second one I used for my personal files. They both worked fine. A couple of days ago, I reformatted the first hard drive Windows was installed on and now that hard drive is working fine, but when I want to connect the second hard drive (Maxtor DiamondMax 21 250GB), the computer freezes. When I go to BIOS, it doesn't recognise that second hard drive. I run Windows XP, have all the necessary updates installed, including SP2, and the motherboard I use is ASUS M2N-MX SE. My primary hard disk that I run Windows on is Seagate Baracuda 7200.7 40GB.

The funny thing is that I tried putting in another hard drive as well (160GB) and I have the same problem. At first, the computer worked and after restarting it worked as well, but the next day, it didn't. The computer started restarting and Windows didn't want to start again until I removed that second drive. So I tried the third slave as well (Maxtor 541DX 20GB), but again, the computer just won't recognise it. It's not in the Disk Manager nor in the BIOS list.

The point is, the computer works fine if only one hard drive is on it (the one Windows is installed on), but as soon as I connect any of the other 3 drives as well, they are not shown in both BIOS and Disk Manager and the computer just doesn't work.

Does anyone now what might the problem be, coz I don't think the hard drives are faulty, as they all used to work fine before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

Has the BIOS been updated?
See ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2N-MX%20SE/M2NSE308.zip
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#3 axxa

axxa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

I downloaded the update and extracted it, but when I double click on it (AFUDOS29), nothing happens. I tried opening the ASUS website for installation instructions, but they don't have any.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

<<...have all the necessary updates installed, including SP2...>>

I don't think so, since SP3 has been out for years.

Are these drives...PATA?

Is any other drive on the same cable for either?

That board shows 1 PATA slot and 2 SATA slots...for a total of 4 possible devices.

Is the optical drive properly reflected in the BIOS?

Is the BIOS set up for RAID?

Try replacing the CMOS battery?

Louis

#5 axxa

axxa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

I actually went to a computer repairs guy and he looked at the second hard drive (Maxtor DiamondMax 21 250GB) and the jumper was set on the first 2 pins, meaning that the computer thought it was a master hard drive, not a slave one. Apparently, that is why the computer didn't recognise it, because I already have a master drive Windows is installed on, although I don't know how it worked as a slave drive before, if the jumper was on the master pins. Anyway, now when I plug it back in, BIOS recognises that drive, the computer starts checking it and deleting all these random ghost files trying to repair it. I guess I will now if it works when that finishes or not and let you know.

@ Louis - The drives ara PATA, different cables, optical drive is reflected in BIOS, BIOS is set up for RAID, battery works fine... Btw, I always had some issues with SP3, so I didn't install it, and both drives worked perfect without it, so I don't know if that's the case.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

I only mention SP3/critical updates...from a system vulnerability perspective. If you don't care about such, it's your system, not mine :).

I would try to find out why I formerly had SP3 install problems and overcome my concerns about malware/vulnerability.

So...you've overcome the hard drive problems you posted about, correct :)?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users