Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install printer on laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 avz10

avz10

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

My set-up is as follows. I have a desktop with all the printers connected to the desktop (Windows 7 64 bit)(Own computer). I usually print from my laptop, connected to the desktop.
The laptop is a HP Probook, also Windows 7 64 bit.(Work computer). We bought a Samsung SCX 3200 printer/scanner, so that I can connect it directly to the laptop and print all work related issues on this printer. I installed this printer to the laptop, but if does not print. I also phoned Samsung numerous times. (Detail follows).
If I connect the printer to the desktop, then I can print from the laptop via the desktop on this printer. This configuration defies the issue, as my whole family can then use this printer.

I tried again today, connected the printer to the laptop:

Windows:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
No printing.

Using the CD that came with the printer:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
No printing.

Using the Universal Drive set-up
Posted Image
Posted Image
No printing.

Trying to diagnose with Samsung Dr Printer
Posted Image
Posted Image

Still does not want to print, but prints via the desktop as previously stated.

Any advice will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

Hi,

If I connect the printer to the desktop, then I can print from the laptop via the desktop on this printer. This configuration defies the issue, as my whole family can then use this printer.

So that means the printer is shared.

-Try uninstalling the printer driver from the Control panel > programs and features.
-Disconnect the usb cable of the printer that connects to the laptop
-restart the computer
-re-install the printer using the disc that it came with but DO NOT connect the usb cable till it prompts you to
-If ever you get an error in any part of the steps or it still does not print, just reply on this thread.

Hope it helps.

Edited by booterbotter , 14 August 2011 - 08:57 PM.

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#3 avz10

avz10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:22 AM

No, not really shared, but it works on another computer:
Posted Image

What I did today, was to uninstall all Samsung software, I switched my wireless LAN off, unplugged the USB cable, turned the firewall off, installed the software with the CD, then plugged the cable in, but no printing. The Samsung was set as default, but after trying to print, showed an exclamation mark.
I ran the troubleshooter, but it could not find anything wrong.
(Just to mention again- this is an office laptop, but our IT guy assured me that there should be no problems to print.)

#4 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

Since its an office laptop there might be some limits provided to you as a user.
It's not gonna hurt to ask them because installing drivers requires an administrator account unless they have enabled that in the group policy.

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#5 avz10

avz10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

I am in Cape Town till Thursday and will ask the guys at head office.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:15 AM

A simple, no-nonsense way of going about it would be to create a homegroup on your desktop computer and network your laptop to the desktop computer over the LAN network/router.

Once the two computers are networked, get back on your laptop, add a "network" printer, choose the Samsung printer through this wizard and you're all set! What's more, you can also share files between both computers quite easily!

However, you need to remember that the desktop must be turned on and connected to the network, for the laptop to access the printer.

I have a similar setup at home and it works great!

Hope this helps. :)
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users