Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power failure = XP SP3 endless boot loop

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 xpsp3fix

xpsp3fix

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

Good morning! Woke up to see that the power went off last night while the desktop was running. Turned on the desktop and it reboots in the middle of loading the OS. (it does not make it to the Logon screen)

Tried:

- Safe Mode (all variations)
- Last Known Good Configuration

and the same thing happens: the computer reboots itself before fully loading Windows.

When booting with Safe Mode, the installations stops at eubakup.sys, and then the computer reboots. (I do know that this driver is for the Easeus backup program)

Running memtest now.

OS is XP Professional SP3

Thanks!

Edited by xpsp3fix, 14 August 2011 - 08:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:56 AM

After checking the ram you should also boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

Then, if you still can't boot you can do a repair installation:

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#3 xpsp3fix

xpsp3fix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

Thank you for the quick response and link Allan! I've always been wary of the default XP repair function as there are so many war stories about it wreaking havoc. According to that article the repair leaves the installed programs intact. I really want this to be true, as I'm trying to keep things the same and avoid a format/reinstall.

Memtest is still running. Once it's done I'll do the recovery console boot, etc.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

If your computer is running MS applications when the power goes out it can damage the MS applications that were running. What you have described is most likely a software problem, not your RAM. If the computer will not boot, Allan's suggestion to perform a repair installation is your best option. A repair installation will not affect your data, it will only repair the damaged or corrupted files. In order to boot from the installation CD you may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

I understand your concern regarding "war stories", but these are usually related to poor suggestions, or user errors in the process of trying to perform these suggestions. For that reason I would suggest reading through the instructions first to be sure that you understand the procedure before attempting it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

If your computer is running MS applications when the power goes out it can damage the MS applications that were running.

I don't believe that's true. To the best of my knowledge you can't "damage" any application by shutting it down abnormally or prematurely. The worst that will happen is any data in the process of being written to the hd will be interrupted.

#6 xpsp3fix

xpsp3fix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:57 PM

"The worst that will happen is any data in the process of being written to the hd will be interrupted."

...which would then damage the application, correct? ; ) HD sector unreadable = application damaged. Semantics, yes.

I'm going to quit memtest... it's been running since this morning.... 12 hours & no errors so far, but I've read over and offer that in the case of power outages/brownouts/surges etc that motherboards and memory have been damaged, and can hinder the OS loading up. I've built every desktop I've owned since hmmm, 1999, and about 2 times I've had issues after a premature/unexpected shutdown. Usually through some way I've just found the offending driver or done some kind of workaround. Let's see how this Windows Repair works.

"I understand your concern regarding "war stories", but these are usually related to poor suggestions, or user errors in the process of trying to perform these suggestions. For that reason I would suggest reading through the instructions first to be sure that you understand the procedure before attempting it."

This is probably very true.... I've fixed tons of folks' computers and they've said things like "well, it wasn't doing anything so I restarted it" and "I always just press the reset button". User error is rampant.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:46 AM

"The worst that will happen is any data in the process of being written to the hd will be interrupted."

...which would then damage the application, correct? ; ) HD sector unreadable = application damaged. Semantics, yes.

No, an application cannot be damaged by an abnormal shutdown. It's not semantics, it's fact. My comment referred to a program that might be in the middle of writing data to the disc. For example, if you are running a word processor and it is scheduled to save files or changes every few minutes, if there is an unexpected shutdown the program may not be able to save the most recent change(s). That has nothing to do with damaging the program itself.

#8 xpsp3fix

xpsp3fix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

If your computer is running MS applications when the power goes out it can damage the MS applications that were running. What you have described is most likely a software problem, not your RAM. If the computer will not boot, Allan's suggestion to perform a repair installation is your best option. A repair installation will not affect your data, it will only repair the damaged or corrupted files. In order to boot from the installation CD you may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

I understand your concern regarding "war stories", but these are usually related to poor suggestions, or user errors in the process of trying to perform these suggestions. For that reason I would suggest reading through the instructions first to be sure that you understand the procedure before attempting it.

Allan, using the instructions at the link above, I'm not getting the option to Repair the installation. The options I've got are only "to set up XP on the selected item...," "to create a partition..." and "to delete the selected partition..." My XP installation isn't being recognized!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

A sudden loss of power can have the same effect of a hard shutdown.

Can a hard shutdown cause damage? - MajorGeeks Support Forums

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

... boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

Have you done this?

If you cannot successfully run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console, then try the following ....

Download NTBR_CD.exe and create a bootable CD.
  • Save the file to your Desktop and double-click it. This will create a folder named NTBR_CD.
  • Open the folder and locate BurnItCD. Launch it by double-clicking it.
  • When BurnCDCC opens, click Start - the CD tray will open.
  • Insert blank CD and click OK.
  • The tray will close, burn the image then eject the disk.
Run chkdsk.
  • Boot the affected computer with the new CD.
  • Once presented with the boot screen please hit <ENTER> to boot from CD.
  • After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen - press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.
    You should now be at the Tool options screen.
  • Type 5 and press <ENTER> to go to a command prompt.
    At the command prompt type the following bolded command then press <ENTER>

tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk

You will be prompted (in German) to press Enter.
  • Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
    Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors.
    Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
  • When it completes type "menu" and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
  • Type 6 and press <ENTER> to quit, then Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
:spacer: (With thanks to noahdfear for the above tool and instructions.)

Please let me know if chkdsk reports any errors or corrections made, or if it completes without incident.

Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.

Edited by AustrAlien, 16 August 2011 - 04:54 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

I think we might be dealing with a corrupt boot sector.
Do you have access to a genuine XP cd?

The approach I would try first would be to boot to an XP cd then go to the recovery console.
From the recovery console type
fixmbr
fixboot
Hitting enter after each line.

Take the cd out & see if it boots.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 xpsp3fix

xpsp3fix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

HUGE thanks for all of the suggestions so far. Here is the latest:

I do have the XP Pro disc and was able to boot to the Recovery Console

Here is what is interesting and maybe an important clue: when doing what Allan suggested for--- oh nevermind, let me take a pic, too much to explain!

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?54ik30fa9mefape

As you can see, C:, that has the windows installation, is listed as "unknown"-- with all of the space free as well

The second part is, when booting into recovery console to run chkdsk etc, the windows installation on C: isn't recognized.

AustrAalien: downloading that fix now
Eyesee: haven't been able to implement your suggestion due to the above

#13 xpsp3fix

xpsp3fix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

... boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

Have you done this?

If you cannot successfully run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console, then try the following ....

Download NTBR_CD.exe and create a bootable CD.
  • Save the file to your Desktop and double-click it. This will create a folder named NTBR_CD.
  • Open the folder and locate BurnItCD. Launch it by double-clicking it.
  • When BurnCDCC opens, click Start - the CD tray will open.
  • Insert blank CD and click OK.
  • The tray will close, burn the image then eject the disk.
Run chkdsk.
  • Boot the affected computer with the new CD.
  • Once presented with the boot screen please hit <ENTER> to boot from CD.
  • After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen - press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.
    You should now be at the Tool options screen.
  • Type 5 and press <ENTER> to go to a command prompt.
    At the command prompt type the following bolded command then press <ENTER>

tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk

You will be prompted (in German) to press Enter.
  • Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
    Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors.
    Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
  • When it completes type "menu" and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
  • Type 6 and press <ENTER> to quit, then Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
:spacer: (With thanks to noahdfear for the above tool and instructions.)

Please let me know if chkdsk reports any errors or corrections made, or if it completes without incident.

Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.

Ok.... so, progress!

Did the procedure above, was able to run chkdsk. There were errors that were corrected, took pictures of the screens as there was no way to write down the info as fast as it was happening. Rebooted the system. Chose "Start Windows Normally". The difference this time is that the system ran through the Windows animation the whole time, but did not make it to the User Accounts screen. System restarted itself.

Chose "Safe Mode", and again, the system hung on eubakup.sys, and I was ready to try "Last Known Good Configuration" on the reboot. Well, after a while, instead of rebooting, it went into Safe Mode. I'm going to reinstall that program and see what happens. Hmmmm, maybe uninstall it.

#14 xpsp3fix

xpsp3fix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

Ok, so after logging INTO windows while in Safe Mode was hit witha plethora of messages... literally 10 or 15...

Windows - Corrupt File
THe file or directory c:\documents and settings\blah blah\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\blah blah\desktop.ini is corupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility. About 15 diff't files like this. BIG EDIT: about 100+ files like this.... I stopped counting around 200.

In the midst of clicking the computer restarted.

Then ran it's own chkdsk, found errors and corrected. Then restarted itself

Booted all the way to the beginning of the Account logo screen, then restarted.

Booted all the way to the Account Logon screen, with no accounts showing, then window says "the system is shuting down" with the message C:windows system32 services exe terminated unexpectedly"

Then about 3 restarts with no error messages,

Then a lsass.exe application error window. Clicked ok and the computer was unresponsive with a black screen and movable mouse. Manually restarted (all of the above were just the computer going on it's own)

Computer rebooted itself. Tired of the endless loop I went back to Allen's original suggestion of reinstalling windows on top of itself. Running that now...

OK, received a BSOD saying ntfs.sys has PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

DARN THESE POWER OUTAGES! : ) I was just being relaxed and waiting for a check from Office Depot to go out and buy a replacement for the UPS that quit working after 3 years. Not being without protection again. This is madness.

Now, after a couple of reboots and messages saying that a backup copy of the registry has been successfully used I'm on my desktop, but with no icons, just the wall paper. Task Manager has no applications running. Used it to shut down the computer.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

Please start Windows in Safe Mode and do the following ...

:step1: Please disable "automatic restart on system failure".

"Automatic restart" can be disabled from within Windows:
  • Right-click on My Computer, and select Properties > Advanced tab.
  • Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
  • Disable (remove the check-mark from the box) Automatically restart.
  • Click OK, and if you get a System Control Panel Applet warning "If the pagefile on volume .... Continue anyway?", click Yes, and again OK to close the last window.
Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows XP

When the system fails it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD (blue screen of death) with error message, such as the example shown below.

• Posted Image
  • Record the error message details, which will be contained in the areas indicated within the red lines in the above image.

Please post the error details in your next reply, when it happens.
You may need to press and hold for 5 seconds, the ON/OFF button, to switch off your computer.

:step2: Use the Windows Error Checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to fix file system errors and scan the disk surface for errors, attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
  • If the disk you have chosen is the system disk:
  • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
    This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.

A log of the disk check is recorded only if the scheduled re-start is used, and only for drives on the same HDD as the Operating System.
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
    The Event Viewer window will open.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the Posted Image button to copy the log text to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

You may need to run Error Checking (Check Disk) several times to fix a badly corrupted disk file system.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users