Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Soundcard blown up??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 king_m_s

king_m_s

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

First of all Hello, this is my first post.

I haven't had any conventional speakers for my computer. I had a cable lying around the house that converts red and white cables(rca's i think) the single audio cable. SO I used that cable and plugged it into my dvd player that has surround sound speakers. Using the auxiliary input option I was able to get sound out of 2/5 speakers and the sub woofer. I was ok with that I didn't really need surround sound, the computer cost me enough and I didn't want to buy speakers.

Unfortunately being cheap and having a nephew has ruined things. There was a set of altec 2.1 speakers in my room one day and my nephew decided to plug in a 2 sided stereo cable into my dvds headphone output and the sub-woofers satellite input(which had a sticker that says "caution connect to satellite only may cause damaga if connected to other signals". What happened next was a pop sound was heard and there has been no sound coming from my computer since. My dvd player works fine, still produces sound and so does the other speakers. But my computer has not been able to produce sound since.

It is evident that it is purely hardware based damage. I would like to know what options i have with regards to repairing it. Is it the soundcard that blew up, Will I have to get a new soundcard? should i take it to a computer shop to get repaired? how much will it cost me?

those are my computer specs
Attached File  14082011.jpg   495.51KB   11 downloads

My internet connection hasn't been the best lately so I might not reply so promptly, thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

Not too uncommon. I have seen it a couple of times where you have different cables and adapters (sometimes different ground potentials) let the smoke out of components.

The sound card is onboard, meaning it is integrated into the motherboard. You got lucky if sound was the only thing effected as it is possible to toast a motherboard in your situation. From your description, I am going to assume physical damage to the sound card/audio chip and skip to replacement.

You have a couple of choices, PCI-E, or PCI soundcards. Your board has both slots.

Choices PCI (the white slots on your motherboard): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100009293%20600011977&IsNodeId=1&name=PCI

or PCI-E 1X (short black slots): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100009293%20600011982&IsNodeId=1&name=PCI%20Express%20x1

No real advantage of one type over another. They are easy to install. Go into the BIOS, disable onboard sound. Pull the side cover, free up a backplate space, insert card into the free slot and follow install directions. Literally a 5 minute job, if you take it slow.

I didn't cover any more diag/repair steps above. Once in awhile you run across a capacitor that pops, and it is an easy fix if you are handy with a soldering iron and not afraid of pulling the motherboard. It looks like there are 3 little filter caps near the audio I/O, so if you see a little metal case rolling around in the bottom of the case, you know where it came from. By the time you figure in labor, it is usually a losing proposition from a monetary standpont to fix it instead of just replacing/adding a soundcard.

Edited by dpunisher, 14 August 2011 - 07:27 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 king_m_s

king_m_s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

Thanks alot, I will see what I can do

#4 king_m_s

king_m_s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

I bought a 15 buck pci and installed it, took me a while but I did it and its working. Feels good to have sound again, I postponed doing this for 10 months, hard to believe it was this easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users