Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Port Not Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 windex

windex

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:43 PM

I just purchased a used motherboard for a Dell Dimension XPS Gen2 desktop. I can not get the ethernet port to work. I plug the cable into it, and nothing happens. It states that it is not connected. I have the driver installed, and the NIC is enabled in BIOS. The device manager states it is working properly, and there is no yellow question mark next to it. Though I can not get the ethernet port to work, I was able to connect using a usb connection to my modem.

Operating System: WinXP Home
Motherboard: DELL DIMENSION XPS GEN 2 MOTHERBOARD, GH001 U2424 0GH001 0U2424
Network Driver: Intel Gigabit LOM
Network Card (onboard): Intel® PRO/1000 MT Network Connection

I'm not sure if the port if faulty, or if there is a fix?

Can someone please provide me with the some help?

Thanks,

windex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

When you plug in the ethernet cable is it securely clipped in? Do you see two lights on the ethernet port light up when the cable is plugged in?

#3 windex

windex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

No, neither one of the lights blink or are on. I have made sure to check that the it is clipped in also. The ethernet cable works on two other computers, so I know it is not the cable itself.

Edited by windex, 14 August 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

IME...modems which have USB connection capability, along with ethernet...may only allow one set of the drivers (either ethernet or USB) to be installed at any time. The modems I have seen with this capability were specific about this in the installation instructions.

Louis

#5 windex

windex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

hamluis,

Thanks for your response. That is good information to know.

This problem existed before I installed the USB driver. My computer did not have the USB driver install on it. After a few hours of trying to self diagnose the problem, I noticed the Arris modem had a USB connection on it. So I tried it and it didn't work. I didn't have the modem installation disk, so I found the driver on Arris website using another computer, downloaded it, and then installed it. It still didn't work. I found an old forum post from another site, and tried some things (reset winsock catalog,flush dns, stop dns client, start dns client,and a few other cmd prompt commands, and the USB connection then worked.

So now I know if I have the USB driver installed, I can not use the ethernet driver. But what about when I did not have the USB driver installed? I know the NIC card works with the USB driver, but why can I not get the ethernet connection to work when the USB driver was not installed? Faulty port? Some configuration issue somewhere?

I appreciate any information provided.

Thanks,

windex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users