Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Critical system problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheAnt

TheAnt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

I was loading a game that I've run many times before and since it usually takes my computer a while to load it I decided to go away for a few minutes. When I came back, I noticed my computer had randomly rebooted. After going through the usual system BIOS boot up, suddenly nothing happens where Windows XP would usually start to boot up.

I have no idea why this happened and I'm really freaked out about this and don't want to lose any of my files because of this.

I have a Dell XPS 410 with Windows XP SP3.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 g0dsweed

g0dsweed

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

Welcome to the Forums Ant.

First question: is this problem repeating, i.e. have you turned off the system completely, walked away for a few minutes to relax and tried to turn the machine on, and the system fails to boot again? Does the boot sequence stop at certain point or just black screen?

If so, please try restarting again and tapping F8 to see if you can get into "Safe Mode", if you can I would try going to the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and see if you can remove the offending game you were trying to load.

If Safe Mode fails, please repeat the F8 exercise and choose "Last Known Good Configuration".

Let us know what happens.

#3 TheAnt

TheAnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

Welcome to the Forums Ant.

First question: is this problem repeating, i.e. have you turned off the system completely, walked away for a few minutes to relax and tried to turn the machine on, and the system fails to boot again? Does the boot sequence stop at certain point or just black screen?

If so, please try restarting again and tapping F8 to see if you can get into "Safe Mode", if you can I would try going to the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and see if you can remove the offending game you were trying to load.

If Safe Mode fails, please repeat the F8 exercise and choose "Last Known Good Configuration".

Let us know what happens.

1) Yes. No matter how many times I try or wait, it fails to boot.

2) Tried Safe Mode in all possibilities. What happens is this:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\config\system
... And then it stops.

3) Last Known Good Configuration also gives me a black screen.

I'm really worried about this. Someone else told me that it's possible my hard drive has died. If that's the case, replacing the hard drive isn't a big deal to me, but the files on the disk are extremely important. If there's some way for me to recover the files, I'm all ears.

#4 g0dsweed

g0dsweed

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

I am not 100% confident this will work but we should try anyway. You need to try to repair Windows from the installation disc.

A set of instructions can be found here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

READ carefully first and follow instructions.

If this does not help we can move on to Recovery Console options.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

Have you read through System Support Page ?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users