Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto restart problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BGK2010

BGK2010

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

Computer: Dell XPS 400
Windows XP Media center edition, version 2002, service pack 3 (dxdiag shows XP professional???)
Intel Pentium® D CPU 2.80 GHz
2.50 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
Sigma Tel High Definition Audio
__________ _________________ ______________ _________

Problem: My computer restarts by itself at random. It restarts when I am playing games, and it also restarts when I am doing nothing at all.

What I did to attempt to fix the problem: I physically cleaned the computer inside and out. I checked my fans for adequate air flow. My RAM and PSU "appear" to be working fine I presume. My harddrive appears to be fine using checkdisk. I ran every crazy program that promises to fix your computer and I only made things worse. I tried replacing RUNDLL32.exe because it appeared corrupted, but who knows at this point :(

NOW the problems are compounded: I have video card driver issues and no sound is coming from the speakers.

Error Messages: *Windows has stopped "Run a DLL as an APP" to prevent damage to your computer.
*Blue screen-- NV4_disp.dll physical memory dump -- address BD161846 base at BD012000
*Sigma Tel high definition audio codec not working properly. Faulty Driver

I think I have screwed everything up and I need some help.

thanks for everything in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 g0dsweed

g0dsweed

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

In your attempts to fix this, have you tried using F8's advanced options and using the "Last known good config"?

#3 BGK2010

BGK2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:01 PM

I'll try it...

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:57 AM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#5 BGK2010

BGK2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Thanks Allan,
I downloaded and attempted to run the BlueScreenView program, but no files were detected by the scan. Whatever BSOD files were on my computer are now apparently erased, so I have no record of my Blue Screen crashes.

I did, however, look through older posts and saw that some people use SpeedFan to check for GPU temperatures, so I downloaded it too. My temps run 35c at idle and 52-54c when playing video games.

There were no auto restarts today, but the sound still does not work.

Remaining Issue: No sound, no icon in tray, hardware manager says drivers are installed and working fine. Maybe this can be fixed?

#6 BGK2010

BGK2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

Allan,
I fixed the sound problem. My sound device was not set as the default. Just a simple click of the button and it's fixed.

My sound works, and so far no crashes yet today. I will keep an eye out for more problems. thank you for your help!

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

The error message in your first post points to the nvidia driver. Go to the nvidia website and download and install the latest driver for your video card. Be sure to uninstall the old driver first.

#8 BGK2010

BGK2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:38 PM

Allan,
I uninstalled old video drivers and installed the updated drivers for my video card like you requested. It rebooted after about 15 minutes of playing.

I reapplied thermal past on both processor heat sinks just to make sure that was not the problem. Still reboots.(no blue screen) I suppose it's possible that my processor is overheating. The computer is 5 years old, so I don't think my processor temps can be monitored.

Sound is working.
Video is working.
all fans are working.
computer is physically clean.

memory?

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

Does the problem happen with all games or just one or two?

Open device manager - any yellow or red symbols?

Sure, check the ram: To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#10 BGK2010

BGK2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

It happens with all games and just randomly as well. BUT it happens more often when games are being played.

There are no red or Yellow warnings in Device Manager.

I will run the Memory test...

Thanks!

#11 BGK2010

BGK2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

Memory tested good.

I had 2.5Gb ram, but last night after the Memtest was complete, I removed the 256mb sticks just for kicks.

I tested the computer with a game using 2gb of ram and had zero problems.

No restarts, no hickups.

I wonder if having two 1gb sticks and two 256mb sticks was the problem.

#12 g0dsweed

g0dsweed

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

Just to answer your last question, yes. It is always inadvisable to have mixed size memory sticks.

Glad everything worked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users