Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Talk About Paranoia!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:15 PM

[quote name='http://www.rpi-polymath.com/ducttape/RFIDWallet.php']With the proliferation of RFID devices and related privacy concerns, it seemed due time to create the RFID Blocking Duct Tape Wallet. There are many ways to prevent Radio Frequency ID tags from being transmitted from devices. I often use my work badge and school ID which both contain RFID tags. With drivers licenses, credit cards, and cash now beginning to contain RFID tags, why not create a protective wallet.

RFID chips now exist in:
  • Chase's Blink Credit Card
  • Mastercard PayPass Credit Card
  • United States Passport
  • Euro Bank Notes
    etc...
[/quote]

So who here wants to help me in building my aluminum wallet, hat, and eventually house? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:17 PM

I'm with ya brother. Lets not waste any time.

Be afraid very afraid. :thumbsup:
They are in many everyday products too!
When I find the link I will post it.

Edited by Scarlett, 16 January 2006 - 11:18 PM.

Posted Image

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:24 PM

I'm starting an aluminum cult. Scarlett you in? :thumbsup:

Edited by yano, 16 January 2006 - 11:24 PM.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:27 PM

OMG Yes Yano sign me up! :thumbsup:

Im only half joking here.

Edited by Scarlett, 16 January 2006 - 11:28 PM.

Posted Image

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:31 PM

Of course! :thumbsup:

#6 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:50 PM

...scuse me..can I be in your gang..(still talking about Mel Gibson arent you?)....tee hee.. :thumbsup: :flowers:
Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

Yes. Anyone is welcome. As long as you don't wear suits and walk around with badges or are short and have a mild discolor in skin (ie: green). :thumbsup:

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:50 PM

RFID is risky in credit cards I would think. I read you can buy the scanners and maybe if you walked close enough you could take money from one of those paypass cards what do you think?

I found a RFID tag on a UPC label and it was never stuck on anything. I got it at the house here.

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

This is when tin-foil becomes your friend.......

#10 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:16 AM

:inlove: ..could we get tin foil in colours ..cos..im girly and you know..have to have matching.....cant wait for my club badge now..hope its got fluffy bits on it!! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:32 AM

They have Zombie RFTD tags :thumbsup:

Security, privacy and ethics problems with RFID

The following problems with RFID tags and readers have been reported.
The contents of an RFID tag can be read after the item leaves the supply chain
An RFID tag cannot tell the difference between one reader and another. RFID scanners are very portable; RFID tags can be read from a distance, from a few inches to a few yards. This allows anyone to see the contents of your purse or pocket as you walk down the street. Some tags can be turned off when the item has left the supply chain; see zombie RFID tags.

What Are Zombie RFID Tags?
One of the main concerns with RFID tags is that their contents can be read by anyone with an appropriately equipped scanner - even after you take it out of the store.

One technology that has been suggested is a zombie RFID tag, a tag that can be temporarily deactivated when it leaves the store. The process would work like this: you bring your purchase up to the register, the RFID scanner reads the item, you pay for it and as you leave the store, you pass a special device that sends a signal to the RFID tag to "die." That is, it is no longer readable.

The "zombie" element comes in when you bring an item back to the store. A special device especially made for that kind of tag "re-animates" the RFID tag, allowing the item to reenter the supply chain.

RFID tags are difficult to remove
RFID tags are difficult to for consumers to remove; some are very small (less than a half-millimeter square, and as thin as a sheet of paper) - others may be hidden or embedded inside a product where consumers cannot see them. New technologies allow RFID tags to be "printed" right on a product and may not be removable at all (see Printing RFID Tags With Magic Ink).

RFID tags can be read without your knowledge
Since the tags can be read without being swiped or obviously scanned (as is the case with magnetic strips or barcodes), anyone with an RFID tag reader can read the tags embedded in your clothes and other consumer products without your knowledge. For example, you could be scanned before you enter the store, just to see what you are carrying. You might then be approached by a clerk who knows what you have in your backpack or purse, and can suggest accessories or other items.

RFID tags can be read a greater distances with a high-gain antenna
For various reasons, RFID reader/tag systems are designed so that distance between the tag and the reader is kept to a minimum (see the material on tag collision above). However, a high-gain antenna can be used to read the tags from much further away, leading to privacy problems.

RFID tags with unique serial numbers could be linked to an individual credit card number
At present, the Universal Product Code (UPC) implemented with barcodes allows each product sold in a store to have a unique number that identifies that product. Work is proceeding on a global system of product identification that would allow each individual item to have its own number. When the item is scanned for purchase and is paid for, the RFID tag number for a particular item can be associated with a credit card number.
source http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Technology-A...e.asp?ArtNum=20
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:25 AM

Well I know you can fry them by putting them in the microwave...
So in the future I guess we will have to microwave everything we get from walmart?

PS this is kinda like the one I have found:
http://www.rsasecurity.com/images_new/rfid.gif

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:03 PM

:thumbsup: careful CGM3 they might come for that and you. And they may have rayguns :flowers: :trumpet:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:29 PM

Well I know you can fry them by putting them in the microwave...
So in the future I guess we will have to microwave everything we get from walmart?

PS this is kinda like the one I have found:
http://www.rsasecurity.com/images_new/rfid.gif

Yes if you take a US $20 bill or higher deomination, and put it in the microwave for like 5 seconds. Something will pop and you'll see a burnt hole somewhere located on the face. (on the $20 I think it's Jackson's right eye.)

http://www.prisonplanet.com/022904rfidtagsexplode.html

#15 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:52 PM

This is amazing. Its starting to sound like the X-Files. :thumbsup:

But wouldnt tracking our money be against some sort of privacy right or something? I doubt the thing is used only for telling how much money is in your wallet, probly more along the lines of the issue of someone being able to track you with your cell phone using GPS.

Cell phone tracking: http://www.asginvestigations.com/pi-stories/index.php?p=117

And for all of you with laser printers: http://www.subterrain.net/drupal/us-govern...-laser-printers or http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/1025-08.htm

Dont try sticking either of those in the microwave tho!! :flowers: :trumpet:

I mean whats next? The government makes a deal with McDonalds and the hamburger you bought yesterday could be used to track you? Its freakin insane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users