Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with wireless security.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hi, until now I've had an open wireless router and haven't had any issues with neighbors connecting to it, but I figured I'd be better off attaching a password lock to the unit anyway.

I added the passcode to the router and set it to ( WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] ) then hit apply, naturally this kicked me off all the PCs and printers in the house so then began the great pilgrimage to each machine to re-connect to the wireless and add the new passcode.

Router: Netgear WNDR3400

1 wireless HP printer
1 wireless Brother printer
1 wireless Windows 7 Desktop
1 wireless Android Tablet
2 wireless Windows 7 Laptops

All of them found and connected instantly, no issues to speak of...

and then came the problem child

1 wireless Windows Vista Laptop

As far as I can tell despite all of my efforts it will allow the Laptop to connect to the router, and even says its connected when I view the router as a webpage. But the computer itself remains "Local" or "Limited Access". Its terribly vexing...

I have so far:

-turned the wireless on/off
-deleted the previous network connection by the same name
-said "hmmmm"
-disabled and re-enabled the wireless adaptor
-flushed the DNS via CMD
-reset the winsock
-said "uurrrgghhh"
-changed the saved network security settings to different things other than WPA2 Personal / AES
-disabled the ipv6
-disabled the HP wireless assistant in favor of just windows
-disabled windows firewall
-disabled the AVG (paid for version) firewall
-reinstalled drivers
-run in safe mode
-was tempted to pull my hair out
-did everything all over again in another order
-searched online and found a solution to "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled"

...and as nothing has worked I got fed up and walked away to consult Bleepingcomputer.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

Is your router set up for DHCP (default setting)? Did you change any of the default Lan settings? Enable Mac Filtering? The wireless security doesn't appear to be the problem since your computer can connect to the router which means It was assigned an IP address and is connected to the network. Try to ping one of the other computers on the network, on the computer you are going to ping go to the start menu and go to the run command and type cmd and press enter. At the command prompt type Ipconfig and press enter. Write down the IP address and take it to the problem laptop. On the laptop go to the command prompt ( as described previously) and type PING and enter the IP address of the other computer. Lastly Please download MiniToolBox To your desk top and run it.

Checkmark following checkboxes:
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt).

The result.txt should appear when the program completes and it should exit. You can then copy and past the contents of the log into your response on the Networking forums. If the log does not automatically appear it should be on your desktop or in the folder the file was downloaded to.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users