Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated Acrobat Reader and Print Spooler won't work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mangleware

Mangleware

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

I have XP with service pack 3.
I updated my acrobat reader to version X. Now I cannot print. Programs like Word or Quark tell me no printers are installed. I go to control panel to install a printer, and it tells me I can't, print spooler is not running. I go to manage services and tell the print spooler to start, it appears to, then I go back to install a printer, and it says the print spooler is not running, and when I check under manage services, it now says the spooler is stopped, so I start it again... but always same results. If I stick a CD into the drive with print drivers to install, it still recognizes that I have those drivers on my system and won't install them. How can I have printer/drivers installed on my system, but they don't show up in the control panel?
I tried going to Microsoft.com and downloading their Mr FixIt for print problems... no help.
I had a full version of Acrobat on the computer, and that doesn't work anymore either. It was an older version, 5.0, so I updated it to 7.0 Acrobat, but that new install wasn't able to install the Adobe PDF printer, so it didn't kick the print function into gear or solve anything. I can't print to PDF or to physical printers.
I tried copying the spoolsv.exe and spoolss.dll files from my other XP machine and putting them on the troubled machine, in case those print spool files had become corrupted, but that did not change anything either.
Adobe Support would not help... any suggesitons are appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:56 AM

Uninstall all versions of Adobe software...does the printer work normally?

Louis

#3 Mangleware

Mangleware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

Even with Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Acrobat reader uninstalled, no printers show up in Control panel, and when I go to print something, I am told I must install a printer... which it will not let me do because supposedly, the print spooler is not running.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

AFAIK...there's no reason for Print Spooler service to run...until a printer is installed and preparing to print whatever is in the queue.

Stopping the service...and then restarting it...dumps whatever is in the print queue and is an easy way to resolve some printer problems.

If spoolsrv does not reflect a status of Started with startup type Automatic...then I would suspect that your install of Windows is damaged. I would try running the chkdsk /r command...if no joy with that, then I would run the sfc /scannow command.

See Command Line Mode at http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=102348

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users