Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 won't launch and system restore failed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DNAnet

DNAnet

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

Hi All,

My computer shut down unexpectedly and when I tried to start it back up it wants to perform a launch repair which fails for some reason. I have tried system restore and keep getting the following error: system restore failed to replace the file D:\ProgramData\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\production\temp\wlidui_WLIDSVC\BUTTON.J I am not sure if this is some kind of virus and how to remove it. I also cannot start up in safe mode or at the command prompt. Nothing has been working. I do not want to do a factory restore at this point because I will lose a lot of data/files, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

If you are using Play Sushi uninstall it.
ave you looked at this.. Win7′s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall

Now reboot to Normal and run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Rootkit Unhooker from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
Link 1 (.exe file)
Link 2 (zipped file)
Link 3 (.rar file)In order to use this tool if you downloaded from either of the second two links, you will need to extract the RKUnhookerLE.exe file using a program capable of extracing ZIP and RAR compressed files. If you don't have an extraction program, you can downlaod, install and use the free 7-zip utility.

• Double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to start the program.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan.
  • Check Drivers, Stealth, and uncheck the rest.
  • Click OK.
  • Wait until it's finished and then go to File > Save Report.
  • Save the report to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the report into your next reply.
-- Note: You may get this warning...just ignore it, click OK and continue: "Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself! It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?".

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

Hi,

Thank you for the info. I do have Malwarebytes on that computer but cannot get to the desktop or any of the files. I can get online though. Is there a way to run a program on that computer if I can't download or get into any files in Windows? Can't even get to the start menu. Thanks.

Edited by DNAnet, 14 August 2011 - 12:17 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

Just veifying ,you cannot get to or just cannot see anything on it?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

I cannot get to anything. It will allow me to open the internet but that is it. Cannot get into windows, start menu, command prompt....nothing. Will not start in safe mode and won't allow system restore. It is an hp if that helps at all. When the main menu comes up and I hit the windows icon, it goes straight to the system restore/recovery screen. I pick a restore point and it keeps telling me that it failed due to that file failing to be replaced (D:\ProgramData.......). I am at a loss. thanks.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

We need to make a resue CD,
AVIRA RESCUE CD
Try creating this disk and boot off of it. You will need another computer to make this disk on.
Avira AntiVir Rescue System
Tutorial for Avira Rescue CD

#7 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

Thank you for the info. I did burn the rescue CD and was about to try to use it when I realized that my daughter did a complete factory reset and wiped out all of her games and files, exactly what I was trying to avoid. On the bright side, the computer is working again. Thanks again for the assistance.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

Well at least that always works. Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users