Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 32 Home Premium RAM amount question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ronfiveo

ronfiveo

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

I am wanting to upgrade my RAM sticks and I have heard that Vista 32 won't work or work well with more than 4Gb of RAM is this true?

Here is my system information : SYSTEM INFORMATION .

My mother board will accommodate up to 16Gb of RAM .

I would like to increase my RAM but if Vista 32 won't handle it I will just save my money or just get new sticks with a higher frequency......yes?

Thanks,
Ronnie

Edited by ronfiveo, 13 August 2011 - 12:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

A 32-bit Windows OS can only access (address) a total of 4GB of memory. Into that address range, you need to factor in system hardware and I/O devices. So, for a 32-bit Vista, the maximum amount of RAM that it is able to use will be somewhere between 3.25GB and 3.75GB, dependant on the hardware.

If you want to improve your current performance, then I suggest that you change your current RAM for PC2-6400 modules, such as Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5.

#3 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Thanks, that's about what I figured.
You have been a great help in my decision!

Have a great remaining weekend Dwarf.

Thanks, Ronnie

#4 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

If there's more RAM than suggested in the previous posts will performance be diminished ?
What would be the result in adding up to 8GB ?
I am going to stick to your suggestion, however I just wanted to know.

Thanks, Ronnie

#5 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

You're welcome, Ronnie.

It won't do any harm to have more RAM installed (provided that your motherboard supports it), however as I mentioned previously a 32-bit Windows OS will only be able to use a maximum of 3.75GB of it. In order to be able to use the full 4GB, and any7 amount over that limit, you need to install a 64-bit Windows OS.

#6 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

Thanks again, you just confirmed my thoughts.

I am going to build a machine in the near future and it's nice to know how to build one that is
less limited during the process of the build.

So, now I know that my new machine will need an OS that is 64bit in order to be able to maximize the power I have the potential
to use with the basic components I have now.

New case (with more fan options), CPU cooler, and more wattage in the PSU, then use the capability of the mobo I have (see system info) up to the max of 16 GB DDR2 PC6400.

Any way that's the plan and it is subject to changes as needed.

Thanks,

Ronnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users