Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network Hardware Configuration

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lakefever

lakefever

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

I am curios as to the correct way to configure (setup) the hardware for a home network. I have a wireless router with 4 ports for wired connections and will be adding at least 3 more wired connections with a total of 7 wired connections. We will also keep wireless connectivity for our laptops and phones. What I donít know is exactly what would be the best way to expand the number of wired connection ports and keep the wireless access also. I have checked and have gotten a couple of ideas.
1. A wireless router with 8 ports
2. Purchase a multi port switch to use with the router. But would I connect the router behind the switch and plug the wired devices into the switch and use the router for wireless connections or connect the switch behind the router and plug wired connections into the router and/or switch?
3. Do I have any other options?
I know the 8 port router would probably be the easiest, but it doesnít seem like there are many choices to choose from.
We use a WISP running normally at 1.1 meg DL, and .7 to .5 UL speeds. With all the devices connected are we loading the service to the point of slowing it down?
Connected by wire are 2 desktops, 1 security DVR, and network printer. Wirelessly connected are 3 satellite TV DVRís, plus a laptop. Sometimes a second laptop and phone are connected
I could really use some help or suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

You can add another switch or hub to your existing 4 port router, this will expand your wired connections by however many ports are on your new switch/hub. You simply connect the old router and the new hub/switch with a piece of cat5 (uses up one connection on each). This will still keep your wireless working and you can connect any wired devices to either router or hub/switch and they should all pick up a connection (no real config or anything involved).

As for the speed/bandwidth concerns, that really depends on your expected usage, all devices on and accessing the web at the same time? A lot of downloads/uploads planned?

Just make sure you end up with enough free ports for all your devices!

#3 lakefever

lakefever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

so add the switch behind the router?

#4 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

yes, just connect the two together with a piece of cat 5.

#5 lakefever

lakefever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

ok. Thank you for the help.

#6 lakefever

lakefever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

After some looking i have the idea of getting an external hard drive and setting it up as a netwrok drive for storage and back up of two or three computers that will be connected to the network . Is there a drive that is more suited for this purpose? It would be connected with a network printer and other hardware I previously listed. Im also considering upgrading from windows XP to 7. Will this have an effect on what Im wanting to do? Here is the list of what I want to do:
I currently have a wireless router with 4 wired ports. I have two desktops, network printer, and a security dvr connected by wire to the router. I have two satellite tv DVR's connected wirelessly to the router. I will be adding a third DVR by wire and would like to add the two wireless DVR's by wire. I also have a DVD player connected wirelessly. I might add another wireless router to an outside building (where the third DVR is located)if the wireless signal from my house is too weak for my laptop in the other building. This system will also connect an occasional visiting laptop and cell phones. I need a setup that will work without constant tweaking. So far the setup now has been very stable and reliable.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

Look into the Network Area Storage (or NAS) boxes. They are setup to be hooked up via the network and act as a file storage/backup location. Some of them also have built in streaming capabilities for audio and video.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users