Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragging how often should I do it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sherd

Sherd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

I use my computer every day and I'm wondering how often should it be de fragged?

Im pretty sure I posted this in the wrong area so don't freak out mods im new......

Edited by Sherd, 13 August 2011 - 11:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

Probably not as often as you may think. About once a week should be adequate, and I would tie this in together with other maintenance tasks that need doing regularly. You can do this at a time that is convenient for you. These include disk cleanup, a full AV scan and possibly a disk check (chkdsk). Do the disk cleanup first, otherwise you will end up re-fragmenting your drive.

This is the order that I use on my PC at work (running XP, but still applicable to other OSes):

Disk Cleanup.
Defragmentation.
Full AV Scan.
ChkDsk (including options to automatically repair errors found) - will need to restart to run.

All of the above will take time, the amount of time will depend on the state and size of your HDD. If using an SSD, you should not defrag as it will potentially shorten its life, nor should you run ChkDsk on one either. You should find, however, that subsequent housekeeping won't take as long.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

When you open the defragmenter it will tell you whether or not defragmenting is recommended.
It is not necessary to constantly defragment.
Unless you have installed several programs, etc. defragmenting once a month or less often would
be more than adequate or just check to see if Windows recommends defragging.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

First if you are in the minority that is using a SSD not only should you not defrag a SSD it isn't needed with a SSD.

Second if you decide to defragment your drives do as was suggested above and let windows tell you if it needs it or not.

I haven't defragmented my home or my work computers since the Windows 98 days. It is a personal thing. I don't see slow downs related to fragmentation and I don't want to add the wear and tear on the computer or pay for the electric used by defragmenting.

OTOH Programs are on a SSD. The data on the data drives doesn't change that quickly. Plus I do a form of defragmenting on those data drives that consists of reformatting them when a project is done. That removes everything and returns the drive to a like new state.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Bill R TechSpec

Bill R TechSpec

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

I use my computer every day and I'm wondering how often should it be de fragged?

Im pretty sure I posted this in the wrong area so don't freak out mods im new......

Hard to say because it depends on how much use it gets. Disks fragment with use; the more the PC is used, the more the disk fragments. On the other hand, defragmentation can take a long time and you really can't use the PC while it is defragmenting so you have to schedule it to defrag for over night, etc.

I would recommend using a good commercial defrag program that automatically and proactively defragments as the PC needs it and that won't interrupt your use of the PC.

Here is a Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs available:

http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

The top placers are very transparent and the gold medalist actually prevents fragmentation before it happens.

Getting a free trial of one of these and using it makes defragmenting a non-issue as it will happen automatically when it is needed without you having to worry about it.

Good luck!

Bill R TechSpec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users