Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing vista on a new hard drive using the recovery partition of an old (failed but still readable) drive?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 epcheney

epcheney

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

My hard drive failed last Saturday, reading "operating system not found." BIOS testing resulted in error 10009, replace hard drive. At this point, the drive won't boot, but data can still be read.

I have a new hard drive. The backup disk I made for Vista isn't working.

I thought of borrowing one from a friend, but my OEM key on the bottom has completely worn off. HP says they cannot help and Microsoft wants me to pay for a replacement key. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Is there any way to use the recovery partition on the old drive to install Vista on the new drive?

My laptop has two hard drive bays, but I only have one caddy, so ideally I'd like to connect it using an enclosure.

Also, I do have access to another computer that I could use as a "go-between" if needed. For example, if it's possible to simply copy and paste the recovery partition files, I could use the enclosure to copy them from the old drive to the working computer, then put the new drive in the enclosure and copy the files onto that.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users