Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Core 2 Quad 6600 running single core?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Teach Power

Teach Power

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

I came to realize that I built my machine running to run an Intel quad core (Q6600 2.4 ghz) but has been only running on a single core. My mistake as this machine was my first experience with multi-core and didn't notice it should have 4 graphs instead of one on the task manager > performance tab.

I was given a machine that has an AMD Dual Core 2.2ghz and more RAM (4 gigs compared to my 2 gigs). My question is, is it worth the time and effort to transplant the hardware (video card, hard drive, optical drive, etc.), reinstall Windows, and file transfer my applications/programs from my machine to the AMD machine? Basically the only difference between my machine and the AMD machine is the CPU and RAM. Will I get a performance boost that is worth all that work?
-TeachPower
TeachPower.net founder
Education Resource Library for the classroom & boardroom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

If it were me I'd want to make sure the motherboard supports the Q6600. The Q6600 quad core is still a decent processor. I just upgraded a customers computer with a Q6600, to a SSD boot drive, 4Gb memory, Win7 Pro, good video card and it is fast.

I would take a look at the motherboard makers site and see if it supports that processor and if it needs a bios upgrade to do so. I used a Q6600 and 3Gb ram to edit and encode HD video with no problems and decent speed. It should be faster than the AMD dual core.

There is also a possibility that the CPU is defective and could still be under warranty. Worth checking out.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Teach Power

Teach Power
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

I went through alot of emails and calls with XFX about the motherboard and came down to the problem is I happened to choose the only CPU that is NOT compatible with the mobo. XFX emailed me new BIOS to flash, which I did. I spent a long time with them on the phone and still nothing. It says on the XFX mobo CPU compatibility table that it supports the Intel Q6600 that has a TDP of 95W, but not the Q6600 that has a TDP of 105W. I just can't understand how my mobo can support the Q6600 but only one TDP wattage?!? :killcomp:

I am at the point of merging my computer with the AMD machine to get some better performance for now until I build another one. But my question is, does the AMD dual core 2.2ghz run that much faster than my dysfunctional quad core 2.4ghz that acts like a single core?

Edited by Teach Power, 13 August 2011 - 10:44 PM.

-TeachPower
TeachPower.net founder
Education Resource Library for the classroom & boardroom

#4 karnage

karnage

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

I went through alot of emails and calls with XFX about the motherboard and came down to the problem is I happened to choose the only CPU that is NOT compatible with the mobo. XFX emailed me new BIOS to flash, which I did. I spent a long time with them on the phone and still nothing. It says on the XFX mobo CPU compatibility table that it supports the Intel Q6600 that has a TDP of 95W, but not the Q6600 that has a TDP of 105W. I just can't understand how my mobo can support the Q6600 but only one TDP wattage?!? :killcomp:

I am at the point of merging my computer with the AMD machine to get some better performance for now until I build another one. But my question is, does the AMD dual core 2.2ghz run that much faster than my dysfunctional quad core 2.4ghz that acts like a single core?

shame. yeah certain MB support only lower wattage which sucks. Best to get a MB that supports higher such as 140W if you want to upgrade the CPU in the future. especially with AMD.

#5 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

What board are you using?

Assuming that's a an Athlon x2 you're talking about, well, IMO it's probably a close call, even in single core mode. You could bench each on it's own, if you really wanted to find out.

With all four cores operating, the Q6600 should blow that out of the water. Is there another Intel Quad core your mobo will support, that you can buy and sell off the old one on ebay? The Q8200 runs at 2.33, but benches higher than the Q6600 and runs at 95 watts.

Is the ram the same speed or close? Will your intel machine take it? What OS are you running - that extra two gigs can make a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users