Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Many Of You Are Going To Replace Xp With Vista?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 enven

enven

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:05 PM

Revision:

I am not too excited for this; it seems they're more worried about parental controls and cosmetics than real issues that need to be addressed for an operating system.

I hope the consumer (professional) version has more for the 'power' users...

Will they have any sort of listings of any of the apps that are compatible with Vista?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

hello,
Considering I don't have Windows on my laptop, I am not going to replace it with Vista. I am a Linux only person. However I wonder if others will replace it. People like my grandmother or my own mother may replace it if the recommendations are high enough. As for a list of compatable programs for Vista, I am sure they will eventually have it. It just takes time that's all.

--Jesse

Edited by Jesse Bassett, 31 March 2006 - 08:47 PM.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#33 coltm4carbine

coltm4carbine

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:43 PM

I will get vista and install it to my laptop as soon as it comes out (bad choice i know...lol)

I think I might get the ultimate version although i won't be using all the functions...Anyways my mum is letting me make the choice so idk yet, depends on which version is going to come out first.

#34 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

my personal opinion is wait till microsoft comes out with the second version when all the bugs are fixed up. I would like to point out that MS isnt realy covering the problems in the OS but making the cover better. I still use win 3.x and 95 Plus for most of my projects, I mean i do have XP medial center for new stuff. Win 3.1 was probally the best OS MS ever made to date (excluding MS-DOS 4.0& 6.2) 95 is really good too (not the original though) i recomend not upgrading for a bit later.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#35 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:29 AM

My fav system is Win98 SE though it not supported anymore i got a new P4 PC system with XP SP2 and it has been great. I heard there were lots of bugs before Sp2 so i may wait until Vista SP2 before i buy it. I would love to buy it as soon as it comes out but 1) i'm still paying off my P4 system. 2) i just got a laptop 3) i'm poor now because paying off a PC and Laptop at the same time not a wise move but i needed the laptop .

Overall i'm afraid we have to move forward like everything else.

There never is a final version of Windows or Office. Because they bring out new versions. Well until they run out of ideas anyway.

#36 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:38 PM

Probably install it on my new pc next year since I am running a 32bit Pentium 4 right now.

I hope that they will do something about the compatabily for games though...

I am going to wait at least for the SP1 cause you know the second that thing is realeased hackers are going to be searching that source code for the smallest little vunerability and exploit it...

Damn hackers are almost more inteligent then bill gates if not more...

#37 desertwolf

desertwolf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:55 PM

I won't be using it at home (Slack Forever!) but at the office we may upgrade after a service pack. I haven't had time to put the beta through its paces but on the new Dell it runs well. That said they always try to cram new "features" in the final release that break otherwise stable code.
"Orwell was an optimist" -Kibo (God of Kibology)

#38 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:07 PM

Yeah some times you should just leave a good program alone...

Hey desertwolf welcome to BC

#39 Nijuu

Nijuu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:54 AM

Realistically speaking, when its finally released, aside from people with brand new computers, how many of the rest will have the pc with the grunt to run Vista very well?. :huh:

#40 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:16 AM

Yeah some times you should just leave a good program alone

Agreed. Suits me just fine.

#41 Wolfnadrid

Wolfnadrid

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:43 AM

I've been running the beta for a while and beyond the kernel updates and the new driver handling I'm not impressed w/ the OS at all. Its still heading the 'WinME' direction, stripping stability and direct control for 'shiny' buttons and replacing primary security functionality w/ backend and 'simple' access control which will lead to more user targeted security vulnerabilities and backweb/rootkit based infections (take the UAP file action popup... create a spam of those and guarenteed after the 4th popup people will just mash 'allow' which could possibly admit any system alteration). Course I'm a huge fan of simplicity in computing (in the traditional sense).... I'm a folder/executable/file permissions/tiered user level fan... want to install/un-install/update a program, be logged in as a power-user, go to its folder on the drive and run its (un)installer (no registry entries, nothing added to any critical system file/folder just files w/ version info in a header and self contained sub folders and dependancies) heck should just be able to delete the program folder and any shortcuts. Want to make a major system change or alter the OS in a way other than look&feel, must completely log out then back in as the ONLY system adminstrator.

Edited by Wolfnadrid, 27 April 2006 - 03:46 AM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't work here, I just pretend"

I spend all 8 hour of my work day fixing other stupid humans computer problems... do you really think I wanna fix your computer?... ohh free stuff for it, well why didn't you say so!

#42 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:40 PM

i will replace eventualy with a 64 version. Just wait a bit till bugs are worked out.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#43 Macky

Macky

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

Not going to replace windows XP with vista.

Why?

My computer can't run it :'(

:huh: IF I replace my computer I'll run vista for sure (Halo 2 for PC is said to release on the vista platforms only)
I have defied gods, and demons. I am your shield, I am your sword. I know you, your past, your future. This is the way the world ends. --4 lines of cortana from Halo 3

#44 siljaline

siljaline

Security Expert

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

I will run Vista - no problem, looking forward to it.
What build, not sure.

Silj
siljaline

#45 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

i suppose i'll get one, but probably not until its been out for a couple of years. . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users