Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Many Of You Are Going To Replace Xp With Vista?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:59 AM

I'm not really happy with the Dec CTP build - but have just downloaded the Feb build and I'm hoping that it's been refined a bit more.

Eventually I will switch to it - but for now I'll stick with XP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Guest_Nexus Mind_*

Guest_Nexus Mind_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:47 AM

For me, I have been running on Windows Operating Systems all my life.

My main OS at the minute is Win XP Home

although it has proved to be the best Win OS so far I think when I get my laptop I will run either Linux or symphonyos, but only symphony if it is out of beta and is proving to be a good mid OS between Linux and Windows,

so for me Vista is not for me, although I my eventually switch my Desktop OS to Vista but no plans so far

-NEXUS

#18 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:07 PM

And when everyone decides to go with vista, they'll have six choices. :huh:

The Windows Vista product lineup consists of six versions, two for businesses, three for consumers, and one for emerging markets: Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Vista Starter

Microsoft Unveils Windows Vista Product Lineup

#19 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:01 PM

We just moved up from 98se & ME to W2k.I hope to have eeryone switched to Puppy by summer. None of my computers will run it anyways.

I vote no bloatware :huh:

Edited by acklan, 14 March 2006 - 01:01 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#20 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:39 PM

I'll second that vote. Too bad it won't do either of us any good though. :huh:

#21 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:19 PM

Vista? WTF happened to "Windows Longhorn"?

I heard that longhorn was dropped because consumers found out that windows was planning on making it so that the os wouldn't allow programs to run illegal copies of movies, music etc. Something about verifying the license before it could play. Might've just been a rumor though.

I don't plan on jumping on the Vista bandwagon anytime soon. I have no desire to learn a whole new OS, as I'm still learning XP.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#22 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

Once Vista is released, it'll be the OS of choice for the major system manufacturer's.

You can still run Windows 9x/2K/XP if you'd like - but the market will force most manufacturer's to design around systems based on Vista. So, it'll be like running Windows 95 today - you can use it, but don't expect much in the way of support.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#23 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:07 AM

Hi John. Nice to see you online. I agree to a point, but with exceptions. There are plenty of manufactore producing produces for hardware from the last '90s still. Heck you can still buy PCI video adapters. The software may be another store. Since Windows is locked up, unless a super user friendly verison of Linux pops up with a better verison of WINE yeah you will have to move up. Too bad though. I think alot of users will be using W2k ,9x, ME for a long time. Just because it works and they can still use thier old hardware.
I believe MicroSoft could make a dime by supporting hese obsolete OS on a yearly subscription $19/yr for a product they are all ready geared to support.

IMO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#24 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:13 AM

Microsoft Support Lifecycle

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...&SD=gn&LN=en-us

Buy the "pro" versions and get much longer support.

#25 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:32 AM

I personally will be using XP Home as long as humanly possible, for several reasons:

1) I am poor

2) It takes me a while to learn how to use a new build (95 to 98, 98 to XP, etc)

3) I am poor

4) Vista will probably have lots of bugs when it is first released. Plus, you can bet that hackers will ruch to create TONS of viruses to destroy Vista. I want to wait for most of those issues to be fixed before I buy it.

5) I am poor

So, maybe when this laptop becomes obsolete, and I have to buy a new one, I'll upgrade to Vista. Until then, its XP Home.

Also, I'm poor...wait, I said that already, didn't I? :huh:

#26 enven

enven

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:08 PM

I'll be switching over to vista as soon as it is released and training on it...A lot...haha.

#27 keitaro

keitaro

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:46 AM

well we dont need to hesitate and be in a rush to get it ...
common!!! xp sp2 is still a good OP
and u know how are the windows versions when they first come out
LOT OF BUGS!!!!!
so better hold the horses for 4 and 6 months
NEVER!!! say yes to a pop up!!!

#28 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:13 PM

Seems like all will be holding off for about 8 months as they've bumped back the release date til next year.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#29 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

I've been running XP Home for about 4 years now. Took me a while to learn XP front-to-back, also with all the nice performance tweaks I made. I don't have 2GB of RAM to run Vista to its full potential, just yet that is. Vista, to me, just looks like something to mess around with. Plus, with all the security holes it will have at the beginning, it'll be a huge mess. I waited about 1-2 years after XP's release to actually finally get it. I still believe Win98SE is the best OS Microsoft ever made. That's my opinion.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#30 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:04 AM

15 days with build 5308 has me thinking I'll use it.
Pleasant features in improved search.
Better event logging.
As they say, scalable.
I'll learn to scale it downward in size,
since it is much like XP in that it'll work without 1gb of files
after determining what I use & will not need.
The security changes suit corporations more than a secure,
single user PC and/or small network ... but they will likely
make it possible to lock the machine up tighter.

I'm finding 3rd party software works well, except all anti-virus solutions that are free.
Maybe even those that are not, but I wouldn't know about that from experience.
3rd party drivers is another story that isn't a comedy.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users