Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP only boots in safe mode then will restart normal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gorselands

gorselands

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:46 AM

I can only start PC in Safe Mode. After opening a couple of programs (emails and internet) and leaving PC on for an hour or so can Restart normally and everything is fine. If I boot in SM and restart straight away PC freezes. (Black screen, blue screen, sometimes gets as far as desktop icons.)

Had problem for months now and tested as much as I know how to:
Ran sys restore, max 3 months back, did not help. But had problem then.
Ran Avast, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Adaware, Combofix, Dr. Webcureit. No reported problems.
Msconfig – disabled all startup progs other than Avast and NvCpl, Rundll.32.exe (Nvidia)
Chkdsk – No errors
Diskmgmt – all drives healthy NTFS (recovery Fat32)
eventvwr.msc /s Only error showing is DCOM code 10005 – It doesn’t run in safe mode
Ran memtest for a few hours 100% +++++ - 0 errors
The video card tester ran for a few hours well over 100% + Results not clear as it just said 'benchmark 44' which is pretty meaningless on its own. Just didn't wobble or crash which I assumed indicated it was ok.

Posted Hijack This and OTL logs to relevant BC forum - No evidence of Maleware. Suggested post to this forum. Have searched this and other forums for info but no success.

If anyone out there can help I would be most grateful. I would dearly like to sort this problem but am a relative novice who's run out of ideas.

Many thanks

Mike

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600).
2.67 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded
120.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
73.42 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
1280 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X [Display adapter]
Avance AC'97 Audio
MEDION (7134) WDM Video Capture
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2672 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 11/09/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,390 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

A suggestion was made in your malware topic:

"Format and reinstall Windows. Since you have run a registry cleaner, there is a real possibility that it broke or corrupted the registry and is responsible for your issues. By far the simplest way to deal with this is just to reinstall. Honestly this is the path I would suggest."

Did you run the appropriate manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic?

Since it seems that you have taken steps to rule out obvious hardware problems...motherboard, CPU, PSU issues could exist...it would help if we could see the content of the various onscreen error messages...rather than merely know that such have been received.

Louis

#3 gorselands

gorselands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

Hi Louis, Thanks for the prompt reply. Really don't get any onscreen error messages now it just freezes. What confused me was being able to only boot in SM but then restart normally. There is obviously a difference to do with the registry and how it processes in a normal start up. I do have a 'product recovery cd-rom' that came with the machine. Presumably insert and follow the on screen instructions. New territory and a lot of data to back up.
I don't know who made the HD so unable to run their diagnostic. Have looked in the specs but no info. and Belarc shows Seagate but when Googled that's come up as the ext. HDD.
Any further info appreciated but will try the recovery disc.

Again, thanks.

Mike

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,390 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

You can go to Device Manager...double-click Disk Drives...it will show the drive model data. If the manufacturer isn't apparent from that, put the model number in Google.

Boot problems aren't necessarily Windows issues...I tend to think "PSU" first.

Louis

#5 gorselands

gorselands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

Thanks Louis, Will do as you suggest and then try to test PSU, although fan runs and once started PC runs all day. A brief Google search indicates that, with care, and a voltmeter I can test the PSU. But all uncharted territory. Will report back when and if mission accomplished!!

HHD appears to be Seagate http://www.hdsentinel.com/storageinfo_details.php?lang=en&model=SEAGATE%20ST3120023A

Seagate have two tests: SeaTools for DOS and SeaTools for Windows. The Dos test is apparently more comprehensive but more for the experienced user. I will try downloading and using the windows test.

UK time 1 am. so time to switch off.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users