Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU size query - physical size, not wattage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dynamo5

dynamo5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:38 AM

Hi,

In order to try and solve a problem on a family members PC, I've come to the conclusion that I should try to replace the power supply. The problem that I'm trying to resolve is quite odd, but I'll deliberately avoid complicating the thread with those details at least for now.

The problem I've encountered is that the replacement PSU that I bought is too physically big for the case, and I'm not sure what type of PSU I should be ordering instead. I didn't think for a minute what was installed was non-standard so consequently I didn't think twice when buying a replacement, which I've since returned.

So the part that I've swapped out is a Q-TEC ADT-300. On speaking to the guy in the local shop he suggested that a replacement would be expensive and that I'd be better off buying a new case to go with the power supply that I'd previously bought, but this seems a bit much for something that I'm not even 100% sure is the root cause of the problem. If I'm honest, he wasn't able to tell me the model type of PSU I currently had and suggested it was a unique type of mass manufacturers unit, which I very much doubt.

What now seems most likely to me is that this is a micro-ATX power supply but with this or any other identifier being absent from the original Q-tec model (at least as far as I can ascertain), I'm not certain. Here's a picture of the old PSU in case that gives anything away.

I suppose the short question is, what type of PSU should I be buying to replace this one.

many thanks

Edited by dynamo5, 13 August 2011 - 09:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

Maybe something like:

http://www.palmtechnology.co.uk/store/q-tec-adt-300-300w-power-supply-psu.html

Oh, hang on, that is the original PSU! LOL.

Do you mean you want to replace with a different brand - higher wattage? Although you say it's not about power rating...

Edited by Platypus, 13 August 2011 - 06:54 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:13 AM

It's hard to tell much from your image as it's only of part of the PSU. The seller link seems to be one of the few having the ADT-300 looking like that, everywhere else I find it being shown as ATX. What are the dimensions of the existing PSU?

#4 dynamo5

dynamo5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I've been working off the assumption that I won't be getting a like for like replacement due to it's age, and will have to upgrade the wattage as a result. Brand doesn't matter, just a new unit. I see any increased wattage of the new unit as a safety net, but it's almost certainly not the cause of the problem I'm trying to resolve. I'll respond with the dimensions when I'm back home.

#5 dynamo5

dynamo5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

OK, so the dimensions seem to be approximately

L-120mm (outward facing)
W-85mm (outward facing)
D-155mm

If I'd even thought to measure it beforehand, I'd have been more convinced I was making the right choice since the item I bought claims to be 120mm in one dimension or another, but there's no question that it was too big for the case I tried to fit it in.

Edited by dynamo5, 13 August 2011 - 09:13 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:21 AM

Seems like the 120mm is the fan size on a regular ATX PSU. You're looking for a SLIM ATX - I find it a bit awkward to search in the UK, but for example:

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/60942-psu-slim-atx-350w-mpt-350d.html

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

PSUs...come in different sizes, just as system cases and designs do today.

The specs for a given system should indicate the PSU size...or you can simply look on the currently installed PSU...and look for similar sized PSUs...via Google.

Outdated Reference . There is also something called Small Form Factor that is very prevalent today.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users