Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 95 Won't Boot. Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Super Corsair

Super Corsair

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

Hi all, I'm having problems with a computer not wanting to boot. When I turn it on the HP logo comes on then it starts to boot but then It starts displaying errors. The errors are unrecognized command in config.sys error in config.sys line 4, 5, 6 and 7. I have the Master cd but it won't give me the option to boot from the cd rom.

Jerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:00 PM

Hello Super Corsair and welcome to BC.

If you could post a copy of the contents of your config.sys file that would be a big help. It is at C:\config.sys and you can find it through Start>Find>Files or by using Windows Explorer and highlighting the C: drive. When you find it, right click and select Open with.... In the box that pops up scroll down to Notepad and select that. MAKE SURE that the box that says "Always open this type of file....." is unchecked and click Ok. Right click the file and select all, right click and copy and then paste that into a reply

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Super Corsair

Super Corsair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:23 PM

I would like to do that but it won't load windows the comp stops loading at C:\ right after the errors. If I type scandisk it will load that program but thas it.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:29 PM

If you get to C:\> then type the following:

Edit config.sys

This will show the contents of config.sys. Those lines with the errors will hopefully indicate what is going on.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Super Corsair

Super Corsair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:00 PM

OK, it took the command. what should I be looking for?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:05 PM

If its not too big can you post the whole file here? If not, the errors are being generated by lines 4,5,6 and seven so if you can post those lines here we can see what is causing the errors.

#7 Super Corsair

Super Corsair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:15 PM

It doesn't show any errors in that program.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

Yes, I know. What is written on those lines are commands that help configure your computer in order to boot successfully. Now, for some reason, the commands that are on lines 4 thru 7 cannot be carried out. If we know what those commands are we can probably figure out why it won't boot.

#9 Super Corsair

Super Corsair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:44 PM

Heres what it shows.

Device=c:\windows\himem.sys
dos= high,umb
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noemsi=booo-b7ff
filehigh=30
buffershigh=20
stackshigh=0,0
fcbshigh=1
devicehigh=c:\window\mouse.sys
devicehigh=c:\pbtools\nec_ide.sys/d:mscdooo1

Thats it.

Edited by Super Corsair, 16 January 2006 - 11:51 PM.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:05 AM

Try changing fileshigh to 50. To do this, open config.sys with the edit command. Use the arrow keys to navigate and change the 3 to a 5 where it says fileshigh=30 by placing the cursor under the 0 and backspacing and pressing 5. Then press Alt, A, Enter then Alt, F and X. This will save the changes and close the file. Cross your fingers and reboot. :thumbsup:

#11 Super Corsair

Super Corsair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:18 AM

tried it but its sill doing the same thing.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:24 AM

What is happening here is that your upper memory has failed which probably means your ram is going out.

Open config.sys again, change fileshigh back to 30 and put rem then a space in front of dos=high,umb so it looks like this:

rem dos=high,umb

then save and exit in the same way as before.

This is obviously an old machine. Has you cleaned the inside of dust lately? That can cause problems with the ram.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:37 AM

Leurgy should not the "Stackshigh=0,0" read "Stackshigh=9,256"?
And the "device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noemsi=booo-b7ff" actual read "device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems i=booo-b7ff", with a space between the ems and the i?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#14 Super Corsair

Super Corsair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:56 AM

still a no go. Yes, it's an old one built in 96. It has to sticks of 8mb of ram. I have cleaned it but it wasn't all that dusty.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:08 AM

With what Leurgy posted I think you would be well served to buy 2-32mb sticks of RAM. You board probably tops out at 64mb maybe a low as 32mb if it's a 486.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users