Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external hard drive crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cgirl0111

cgirl0111

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:45 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this or not but if not please re-direct me to the right area. I have an external hard drive that crashed about 6 months ago. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get my data off it. The computer will recognize it as a USB mass storage device but it won't show up in my computer as a drive. If you go under disk management, it locates it but will not initialize. I removed it from its case and hooked it up directly and the computer won't even boot with it in there. Is there anything else anyone can think of to attempt to retrieve the data off of here? I have tried it on systems running XP, windows 7, as well as Linux.

Thanks,

cgirl

p.s. forgot to mention it is a western digital mybook.

Edited by cgirl0111, 12 August 2011 - 11:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:20 AM

I removed it from its case and hooked it up directly

What exactly happened when you tried Linux? Which linux version do you have? I assume it is a bootable CD or flashdrive?
Did you have the HDD attached directly to the motherboard (not in USB enclosure) when you attempted to boot with Linux?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 cgirl0111

cgirl0111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

Linux is installed as the only OS on my boyfriends laptop. Ubuntu linux sounds familiar? We had it connected via usb and the computer wouldn't recognize that my hard drive was even hooked up to it.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

Please have a quick read of the following link: DjLizard's data recovery guide

and have a quick look at the following topic: Hard drive problem ... by breakingbad
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405580.html

I suggest we first attempt using RIPLinux run from a bootable CD or flashdrive to see whether or not we can access and retrieve the data from the ailing HDD while it is attached directly to the motherboard of a desktop PC (not using a USB connection from the enclosure).

Edited by AustrAlien, 13 August 2011 - 04:17 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users