Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus/malware and firewalls in Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lanzd

lanzd

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hello, I was just wondering what anti-virus and anti-Malware people use in Ubuntu. Does Spybot S&D/MBAM work in Ubuntu? Also, I know Ubuntu has a built in firewall, but I was wondering if there is a Comodo equivalent in Ubuntu anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

Anti-virus/anti-malware software is not [usually] needed in Linux due to the lack of viruses and malware out there for Linux (probably because of its small market share). However, you can't really hurt anything by installing an AV. Personally, I installed the on-demand Linux version of Avast.

You might find the following articles interesting:
http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/8261-note-to-new-linux-users-no-antivirus-needed
http://ubuntulinuxhelp.com/does-ubuntu-linux-really-need-antivirus-software/

As for a firewall, I use Firestarter (probably available in your repository/package manager).

Edited by keyboardNinja, 12 August 2011 - 11:29 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

I use Firestarter also, it is indeed in the Ubuntu repositories. The IPtables do the firewall duty, and Firestarter is a GUI where you can customize as you please.

I really don't see any need for Spybot S&D or MBAM. Spybot is supposed to run well with WINE, but I don't believe MBAM will run in Linux.

The main possible security threat for Linux I've read about is rootkits. There are two scanners I use in conjunction ( found in the repositories ) -

rkhunter
chkrootkit

#4 rhetoric_X

rhetoric_X

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

Spybot may run in WINE, but, if so, it will only scan your WINE installation and Windows programs installed there. No Windows anti-malware scanners can scan your Linux file system, nor would you want them to.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

Exactly. :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 lanzd

lanzd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

All right, thank you all. I just got a chance to get on my computer today, but I'm going to go read those articles now and I'll download and play with the firewall configurations.

Lanzd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users