Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Power Supply Issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DarkLiter

DarkLiter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hi.

So I'm working on my aunt's pc right now. A few weeks ago, I replaced her hard drive (it died) with a new one.

Old HD: +5V 0.65a +12V 0.42a ; New HD: +5V 0.72a +12V 0.52a.

Suddenly, this morning she is unable to start the computer. I intervene, trying a number of options to determine as to what's going on. Also, by 'unable to start' I mean it won't turn on. The lights don't come on, don't blink, the hard drive doesn't spin, no fans, NADA. The only activity is the green light in the back by the power cord. SO. Through some internet research I determined the power supply itself was probably ok, due to that light. I found that it could be another piece of hardware and to do a trial/error test. Considering I just recently (couple weeks) replaced the HD, decided to try that. Unplugged that, plugged in the cord, hit the power button and it came on. Turned it off, plugged in the HD, hit the power button. NOTHING.

So. Problem. Is this extra wattage from the new HD overpowering what the power supply is capable of handling? She has an HP Pavillion Slimline s3500f. Is it necessary to replace the power supply with something that can handle more? Is there any other way to deal with this besides spending $? lol

Thanks

HP Pavilion Slimline s3500f --

Edited by DarkLiter, 12 August 2011 - 09:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

I had an HP/Compaq do the exact same thing to me, turned out it was a defective hard drive (fried controller board). If you have a spare hard drive, plug it in just to see if it will power up. Those power supplies cost a bit on the slimlines.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

ok, so it didn't start up with her new HD or the old one, but i tried a HD out of my grandparent's old PC and it came on with that one plugged in. I don't understand how after 2-3 weeks this drive has failed??? and just out of the blue? no symptoms, no errors, nothing?? Nor does she still have the receipt for the new HD..

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

Check your power supply voltages on a spare molex/4 pin connector. Yellow to Black-12V, Red to Black-5V.

Edited by dpunisher, 12 August 2011 - 10:21 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

I have no idea what a molex/4 pin connector is or how to do that lol. I have skill with computers, but that's beyond my knowledge.

#6 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

SO i pressed the power button out of shear annoyance and it turned on with the New hard drive in it.... wth??

And now it doesn't work again, haha

Edited by DarkLiter, 12 August 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

Those slimline HPs don't have any spare power supply connectors. Usually a 90 to 150watt power supply. SATA Hard drive. Non Standard power supply to motherboard connector also.

They are also slightly infamous for the motherboard going bad. The NVidia chipset ones anyway.

Having said that, The hard drive you installed should have nothing to do with overloading the power supply. You need to remember that the power supply has to be able to supply .5a to the usb ports if needed by whatever is plugged into them.

My guess is bad motherboard or marginal (failing) power supply

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Those slimline HPs don't have any spare power supply connectors. Usually a 90 to 150watt power supply. SATA Hard drive. Non Standard power supply to motherboard connector also.

They are also slightly infamous for the motherboard going bad. The NVidia chipset ones anyway.

Having said that, The hard drive you installed should have nothing to do with overloading the power supply. You need to remember that the power supply has to be able to supply .5a to the usb ports if needed by whatever is plugged into them.

My guess is bad motherboard or marginal (failing) power supply

Okay, so motherboard issues are not what i'm looking for lol. Are there any other symptoms of a motherboard going bad? I've never ever had to deal with a MB crapping out on me, so I don't know what i'm looking for in that dept.

However, I'm beginning to think that it may be the power switch?? It seems to stick as it comes up. its a horizontal power button on the top side, and i dont know...it just feels weird. She has said that she doesn't remember it sticking like that. And it acts like its confused! Sometimes it will turn on, sometimes it wont. When I hold the power button down to turn it off, it will immediately turn back on sometimes. So, maybe it's faulty? Is it possible to replace the power switch? If necessary..(Any idea what I need to get? Where I can get it?)

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

Open the case. Remove the front cover. There are plastic tabs to release it. With the case open and laying flat there are tabs on the top and two on the bottom. One is down by the power switch. I usually release that one while looking with a flashlight so I can see it. I seem to recall pressing it down. The front should come off easily if all the latches are released.

At this point the actual switch can be observed and you can test by pressing it with your finger and the plastic parts on the front of the case are out of the equation. If it still acts up take note of the wire colors goi9ng to the switch and trace them back to the motherboard. You can then unplug them from the motherboard and make a momentary jump of the switch contacts on the motherboard to see if now works proper. Just remember don't force anything or you will break it.

While it is open check the CPU heatsink to be sure it is clean.

Good Luck.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#10 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:46 PM

i tried jumping it, dunno if im doing it right, but it didnt come on. This looks like the one its running to. There is a red/black wire coming from a 'button' at the top and then a green/black wire coming from an optical eye looking thing...so idk if im doing this right or not, gah.

Sometimes it turns on, and now it doesnt want to.

5 secs later, i hit the power button and it decides to turn on again...

Edited by DarkLiter, 19 August 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:38 AM

If that computer has Nvidia chipset in it then I'd have to say Motherboard. I believe you can see one of the chipset chips. Look for a larger square black chip marked Nvidia or Intel. One should be out in the open and the other one under a aluminum heatsink.

Maybe someone else has a better answer?

Edited by rotor123, 20 August 2011 - 04:08 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users