Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon Mp839 Error Codes??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 calboyny51

calboyny51

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

My Canon MP 830 printer would not come on until I fritted with a new power cord. It finally came on but now it reads "Error 6500"..Does anyone out there know what this means?? It's not mentioned in the Canon Manual???

the machine kinda turns on but will not function in any way. Just keeps bleeping the error code of above..I can't get to the Power/Print cartridges because they won't move to where i can try & change them or rotate them in any way....Now what???

Edited by calboyny51, 12 August 2011 - 07:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

6500 is an error code from the logic board. If resetting by Canon's procedure quoted below doesn't clear the error, (and from your edit it looks like it won't) then it would appear the logic board has been damaged, presumably by a power supply spike caused by the faulty mains cable. As with most modern peripherals, the cost of a repair would likely exceed the cost of getting a new printer.

Canon's reset instructions:

"Issue: ERROR: Error code 6500
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solution: Press ON/OFF switch to reset the multifunction device

Reset the device when it is not functioning properly.
If the device is not functioning properly or to clear memory, reset it.
On the operator panel, press and hold the <ON/OFF> button for one second. (The display will go blank.)
Note: It may be necessary to unplug the power cord if pressing the ON/OFF button does not shut off the printer.

Wait approximately ten seconds and then press the <ON/OFF> button again.

Wait until the device has completed its cycling process before submitting another job request.

Issue: ERROR: Error code 6500
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solution: The MP830 may require repair"

Edited by Platypus, 12 August 2011 - 07:25 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

It's a logic board error. Page 1-6 of the service manual here: http://www.wraithtdk.com/filedump/MP830/Canon%20PIXMA%20MP830%20Service%20Manual.pdf

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 calboyny51

calboyny51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

Many thanks for all the great ideas about what my Canon is probably doing wrong....it sounds like a Logic Board problem all right but when I think of where that part is located inside this printer, I might as well start looking for another Printer...

Is there a general overall feeling as to who puts out the best/most realible printer on the market today?? I thought it was Canon, but after going thru two of them in 3 years, maybe not....

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:37 PM

You might just have been unlucky! I've had a good run with Canon, and so have other people I've known. Not sure if I could say any manufacturer does better...
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users