Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something(s?) fishy & update installer freeze/fail possibly infected/hacked basically I have no Idea

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 photomech

photomech

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

EDIT: I have been able to suspend the update process (even though it was frozen anyways and the update manager from control panel does not show me updating anything) I suspended the process trustedinstaller.exe while in the resource manager. I am aware this is usually a Microsoft process but yea I am just suspicious this time.

APOLOGIES if I am in the wrong section.

Hi all,
IN SHORT: 1: window update installer frozen @ 0% & not responding to kill/start commands
2: general system sluggishness & low responsiveness even after scans from malwarebytes/symantech found nothing and I cleaned up with CCleaner

So since I am not sure exactly what is going on + I am new (yes I skimmed the new user area) I thought I would start with the first issue.
Note: specs Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

So the other day I decided to go ahead and let my update installer install a few things (firefox had been sluggish for a few days before this) and I said ok you can install this update for this office service pack and this other security update (don't have actual names as I cannot get into the update manager right now). And now I am here on the site. I would try (another) reset but it hasent helped at all to resolve the issue.

Issue 2 as state at top of topic
also in the past few days I have experience a few pc crashes to a black screen with one smallish white block in the top left (odd?) this is outside of a system crash I experienced while I was playing mass effect 2 (sort of expected a crash or two from that game) (legally purchased via Steam).

I am a fast learner and well I need some help sorting out why my laptop has decided to fritz on me and leave me no clues.

Thank you for reading.

Best Regards,
-Tom

Edited by photomech, 12 August 2011 - 05:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 photomech

photomech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

Am I in the right area for this topic?

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

Yes you are in the right area. Please be aware that not everyone who views and reads your topic may have an answer. Some are looking for their own fixes or may be curious as to what is happening. Please be patient and someone with Windows 7 experience or knowledge of your issue should respond within 24 hours with suggestions to assist you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 photomech

photomech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

@

Yes you are in the right area. Please be aware that not everyone who views and reads your topic may have an answer. Some are looking for their own fixes or may be curious as to what is happening. Please be patient and someone with Windows 7 experience or knowledge of your issue should respond within 24 hours with suggestions to assist you.

Alright thanks I shall wait. :)

#5 photomech

photomech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:08 PM

I will be closing this topic and moving my request for assitance to "Am I infected...." as I now strongly believe this is a compound issue between something malicious in nature be it a hack, malware or virus and/or lack of maintinance i.e. defragg etc and issues relating to update manager being screwed to heck (possibly due to a malicious attack).
Apologies.
Regards,
Tom

Edited by photomech, 13 August 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

Issues being pursued in AII forum, closing this topic to avoid confusion.

Should malware suspicion be cleared, just PM me or another Mod and we can reopen this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users