Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacement of Power Supply for a HP Color LaserJet Printer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I have a HP Color LaserJet Printer that is no longer in warranty. We had a problem at church and there was a power surge that burnt out two of the computers power supplies, a Westell DSL Modem, and (I think) the power supply of my printer.

I have located a power supply for the computer but can't seem to find any step by step directions on how to replace the power supply.

If anyone has had this problem and knows of a place where I can get step by step documentation, I would sure appreciate any help.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

I'm not sure I am in the right forum but hope someone can help.

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

You don't say what model printer it is, so here is a listing, that hopefully has your model in it. They are all service manuals, which should include power supply replacing steps.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/HP_22.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

Not sure if you are asking for step by step instructions for computer or printer.

If it is the computer, is the new power supply the exact same as the bad one?
If not, post the model of the HP and the max wattage of the old power supply.

There is likely more damage than just a power supply. Have you opened the case and
examined closely?

Another thought is that this equipment may be covered by the churches fire/ theft/ property insurance.
Depending on cause of surge, the power company may be liable. Of course, if it was an act of
God then the insurance may cover if there is any.

Edited by buddy215, 12 August 2011 - 05:09 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

I thought in my original post that I mentioned it was a Hewlett Packard Color LaserJet Printer. I do appreciate your assistance. As I mentioned earlier the power supplies of our pastor's and secretaries computer were burned up by a power surge. This surge was created by workmen that had been in the church doing construction. Our pastor doesn't want to put the cost back on the workers and has decided to eat the repair costs. A parishoner has donated a new printer and I've been able to replace the power supplies for both of the damaged computers. They are working fine now.

I was given the HP Color LaserJet Printer and am hoping that I can repair it myself. You may be correct in that there may be more wrong than just the power supply. I can get a replacement power supply for the printer for $18.70. I thought it would be worth it to see if this will take care of the printer. That is not a bad price for a otherwise very good printer.

Will keep looking for service manual. Thanks for your assistance.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

What is the model number of the printer??

My HP printer's power supply is external. One end of the power cord plugs into the wall and the other end plugs into
the printer with power pack inline. No instruction would be needed.

This was the reason for my wondering what instruction was needed:
QUOTE: I have located a power supply for the computer but can't seem to find any step by step directions on how to replace the power supply. UNQUOTE
Perhaps you should have written printer instead of computer.....

Edited by buddy215, 13 August 2011 - 12:02 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users