Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell optiplex 360 needs new printer ip after power outage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

Hello all!

My work computer is on a network and every time the power surges or goes out, our hp 6940 series printer resets its IP. the only way to print is to reconfigure the ports in the control panel. is there a way to prevent this from happening or perhaps assign a static address for it?

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PoptartPatrick

PoptartPatrick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

Hi, I have some questions:

Does the power go out in the building or does the printer reset itself?

Go Here: Click Here

And try and reinstall the drivers.

Edited by PoptartPatrick, 12 August 2011 - 01:32 PM.

A computer was something on TV From a science fiction show of note
A window was something you hated to clean And ram was the cousin of a goat.
Meg was the name of my girlfriend And gig was a job for the nights
Now they all mean different things And that really mega bytes.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

Printers and other devices that require an always on/connected connection should be setup to use a Static IP vice Dynamically Assigned one. Please locate your manual, and set the printer to have a static IP. This will prevent your printer from losing its IP, and getting another one when the device is powered off or rebooted.

Edited by cryptodan, 12 August 2011 - 01:45 PM.

#4 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

Hi, I have some questions:

Does the power go out in the building or does the printer reset itself?

It is an older building. I don't think it even goes out all the way sometime. just a little flicker. dirty current or something/ OLD copper wires.

Thanks for the site. I have delt with this repository when installing a printer on my home computer (linux). lets hope the suppport is equally as good for xp on our office comps!

Printers and other devices that require an always on/connected connection should be setup to use a Static IP vice Dynamically Assigned one. Please locate your manual, and set the printer to have a static IP. This will prevent your printer from losing its IP, and getting another one when the device is powered off or rebooted.

Thanks CryptoDan, I knew there was a way to change it to dynamic. I asked the office manager about it today, she didn't seem to think it was anything that could be changed and was quite comfortable with the nuisance. Ill ask her to look for the manual, or get our tech guy re install the drivers on it like PoptartPatrick suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users