Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hey My Friend Needs Help Building A Server.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:38 PM

i already have the case its a five year old case that is an tower. I just need a basic cheap server to run a website off of and do other basic functions. thanks for you help from Rabbuk and his friend Hobbithappymeal
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:27 PM

I've got good news. All you need is an old PC (I use a P-II 400mhz w/512mb RAM) to run a web server. I have a sever P-III dual 500mhz w/1 gb RAM but the old P-II does a good. I use Windows NT 4.0 SP6a SERVER on the P-PIII and W2K Pro SP4 on the P-II.
I am not trying to talk you out of it but a home web server is a low power computer. You choke point is not the computer but the upload speed of your DSL/Cable/ISDN/T-1 connection. In my case I have cable, and am limited to 768kbs upload. So either of my computer are more than able to handle the requests. At DSL/Cable Web Serving you may find some tips that can help.
Whatever you do do not put anything on this computer you cannot afford to loose. The chances of you being attacked goes up since you are inviting people to visit you computer via HTTP or FTP. Only turn on the services you will be using. If you are not going to use FTP make sure it is off. Stuff like that.
I have read where people are still using 486/33mhz with 32mb RAM to server a site. If you only have 64 or 128kbs ISDN that is all you need.
What type of connection and how fast are you connected? Up and down.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rabbuk

Rabbuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:59 PM

Hey i have dsl and my connection speed is 54 mbps. Thanks for the help.
Can you help me find links to buy parts for this server. thanks acklan your a lifesaver. :thumbsup:
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

Sure. What do you want? Modern (current processor), Budget, and just enough (P-III, Xeon, Celeron) to serve. I would recommend a P-III 500mhz of better for a "Just enough" or budget server. If that is acceptable I would start with eBay. That is where I bought my HP LC3 Dual P-III 500Mmhz w/1 gb RAM. It had 3-18gb SCSI 10,000rpm HD. It never breaks a sweat.
Another thing I thought about. Real server, not desktops serving, put off alot of heat, and a noisey.

#5 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

They are correct, you do not need the top of the line computer for a server, it helps but, just take a old computer and get it running and save yourself money there so that you can save for a better one.

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

#6 Rabbuk

Rabbuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

k i have an old computer all it needs is a hd. It has a 833mhz Amd processor. The problem is it doesnt work. Im not sure if its the mobo or the processor.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#7 Rabbuk

Rabbuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:17 PM

hey acklan thanks for your help. i like ur special interests in your profile. lol
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:17 PM

Would you like to try and get it working , and try using it? A $20 used HD and a copy of Windows NT4 and you are up and running. If you want to build a new computer thats fine also. I was just trying to save you some money while getting the job done.
I hope to swap my servers out with a mini-itx computer sitting on a shelf, by the end of '06.

#9 Rabbuk

Rabbuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:19 PM

i have a fedora core disk with a server prog on it will that work or is that program better?
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users