Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista will not boot, says a Device Attached causing problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

I'm having a problem with Vista not booting on my HP DV5T 1000 laptop.

For some reason, it will not boot into windows vista. I get the error that a "Device attached or recent
hardware configuration might have caused problem." It will go to a start-up repair, that runs a gamut of
tests and they all check out OK.

About almost 2 years ago I installed Ubuntu on the laptop and everything was okay until recently. When I set
it up (the Ubuntu) I didn't give it enough of a partition. About a week ago, I couldn't even get the laptop to
start. The lights beneath the screen for the volume control, dvd controls, power button, etc. would just flash on
real quick and then go off when you pressed the power button. I took the battery out and just used the power adapter
and it did the same thing. I brought it to a local computer repair place and they said that it was "motherboard
failure" and that this happens a lot with the DV5 series and other DV series HP laptops. I considered it dead
and then last night before putting it away, I started it and it booted up.

I can boot into Ubuntu and that works fine. I get a message saying I have 1% space available and that I should
free it up by deleting things or emptying the trash.

I am wondering if the recent updates to Ubuntu or just the Ubuntu installation is causing problems for the Windows
Vista to Boot. Something to do with the Grub for Ubuntu and whatever Vista uses to boot. There could be a problem there.
I would like to just delete off Ubuntu for now, but I can't get into the Windows side to do it.

Was thinking of maybe getting Windows 7.

What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:59 AM

Error messages re hardware configuration...would have me replace the CMOS/RTC battery before doing anything else.

Reference: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-hp-pavilion-dv5-laptop/

But...don't do that yet :).

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Post a screenshot, please.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2011 - 10:07 AM.

#3 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

hi,

thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I cannot boot into Vista at the moment. For a short time about a week ago I could, but could not
get any non-windows program to execute. Some error message would pop-up. It would only allow me to use windows programs or go through folders.
No it's back to the dual boot screen where I can choose Ubuntu or Vista and if I boot into Vista, I get the option of a Repair Utility that i've
run many times that finds no errors but the hardware configuration. If I choose run Windows normally, it cycles doing nothing and then eventually
goes back to the dual-boot screen. I noticed at the end of the Repair Utility it gave me an option to do a command prompt and I could type
in DIR and see my C: directory. Otherwise, the only operating system is Ubuntu that works right now.

Can I type in diskmgmt.msc on the command prompt and get a result?

I'd like to try taking the battery out as you suggested, but will wait for your response.

thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

It appears that your battery is the typical CR2032 model...which is available anywhere selling photo/electronic batteries (including Walmart, KMart, etc.).

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 August 2011 - 09:36 AM.
Corrected typo.

#5 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:05 PM

okay, i'll go out and get the battery.

But what about running the test you said to type in; can i do
that in command prompt?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

I suggested no test of any sort.

But...I can run the diskmgmt.msc command from the command prompt on my XP install.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 August 2011 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users