Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best anti virus program?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cgirl0111

cgirl0111

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:01 AM

Any suggestions on what the best program is to use? My computer can't handle running new versions of norton because of how HUGE the program is... It literally will take 5 minutes just to load up each individual page in any internet browser as norton scans it to make sure it's safe.. A friend turned me on to Security Essentials which seems pretty simple and doesn't hog resources, however due to my recent virus issues I'm starting to re-think it. It did a great job telling me i had an issue but it apparently did nothing to prevent it in the first place. I am not someone who goes on 45434543 websites and I'm pretty computer literate so I'm not out clicking things or downloading items.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:10 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials is a good antivirus as far as I'm concerned.

You could also try Avira or Comodo, which are both free also.

You might want to have a read of this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic2520.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 cgirl0111

cgirl0111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

Thanks.. I actually did read that opening post but I didn't do any of that stuff. No clue how my computer got sick. Hopefully it stays well. :)

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

I like Avast. I've used it for going on 6 years now without a single nasty getting through.

Microsoft Security Essentials is also very good. I've not used it myself but I've heard good things from people who know what they're talking about.

Another good one is Eset Smart Security.

Whichever AV you choose to go with, I always recommend having a second scanner installed and updated so that you can have a second opinion. For this, I have Malwarebytes Antimalware. It's a very bad idea to have more than one security program doing real-time scanning (that is, looking at files and websites as you open them) so I just get the free version of MBAM since it doesn't do any real-time scanning. Another popular auxiliary scanner is SuperAntiSpyware, though its longterm availability as a free tool has been somewhat cast into doubt by a recent merger with another company.

A good plan would be to have both a primary security scanner and an auxiliary scanner. Use the primary scanner for real-time on-access scanning and weekly full system scans. Use the auxiliary scanner for weekly full system scans to make sure that the primary didn't miss anything.

Edited by Andrew, 12 August 2011 - 11:55 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. Please see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

After reading that, scroll up to the first topic posting and read Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users