Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't load OS onto my new Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 motocross747

motocross747

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:01 AM

I have my custom built PC with my one and only hard drive in it which its a seagate 500gb sata. I bought a 320gb western digital sata hard drive off my friend.

I hooked up the hard drive properly. I booted up and i could see the new hard drive as D:
I changed my boot order to the CD drive and put in my W7 disk. i went through the setup and when it asked to choose which disk i want to load W7 onto, my new hard drive didnt show up. I tried this many times, changing the sata power cords and the actual sata cable and no luck.

I do not wish to transfer the old HD contents onto the new one. I would like to put the OS onto the 320 gb, and then transfer over my files i want onto the 320 then format the 500gb.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

What media are you trying to use for this install?

Did you try removing the old drive...before attempting to install Win 7?

Is this an upgrade version of Win 7?

Does the BIOS reflect both drives when both are properly attached?

Louis

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

Let me make sure this is right.

You are using a standard install of Windows 7.
You want to install it to D:, leaving C: intact.
You change the boot order so your install disc will be detected first.
You cannot install to the D:, it doesn't show up.

Verify both cables are connected to the drive, ensure it is spinning up when powered on, confirm it is connected to the PSU and motherboard. Is the hard drive showing in the BIOS. Was the new drive formatted beforehand or is it a bare, unformatted drive?

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users