Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible windows 7 upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cgirl0111

cgirl0111

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:45 PM

i've been contemplating upgrading to windows 7... Not quite sure how my computer would handle it. This is a pentium 4 3.2 ghz with hypertheading so it acts as though it has two cores even though it technically only has one. (that's my understanding anyway). currently running windows xp media center edition. 2 gb ram. Would windows 7 run okay on a pc of this age or do you think it would bog it down? I have it on my laptop and it seems to run so much more fluidly then xp does.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:28 AM

Hi, cgirl0111.
I would suggest running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to identify any hardware and/or software incompatibilities. I have used it on older machines and it has provided me with some quick (relatively [within 3-5 minutes I think]) FAQs.
Is your machine a Gateway by chance?

#3 cgirl0111

cgirl0111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

No, It's a Sony Vaio. Thank you for the link, I'll check that out. I thought about just building a new PC so I'm just trying to see what my options are.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

New hardware is always nice. Updated and ready to go. Upgrades can be just as expensive, sometimes. You may have to obtain a few drivers for chipset hardware (through support) on the VAIO. Going for the 64 bit or 32? That machine would fly with 32 bit. :bike:
Good luck on making the decision, cgirl0111. Let us know how you get on?

Regards,

Jody

Edited by bludgard, 12 August 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#5 cgirl0111

cgirl0111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:47 PM

I ran that program and it said my graphics card isn't compatible with Windows Aero. It found a few other small issues but nothing major. It told me I would need to purchase the 32 bit version if I did decide to get it.

Bludgard, so you think the system would be okay? I don't want to slow it down any.

Edited by cgirl0111, 12 August 2011 - 11:48 PM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:12 AM

I have always opted to upgrade suitable old computers for my own use.

You have indicated that you work intensively with graphics: I would suggest ...
  • If possible (if the mobo can take it), upgrade RAM to 3 or 4 GB.
  • Use an expansion card in the graphics slot (AGP/PCIe?), rather than your on-board graphics.
If you can do the above, and all else is OK with Windows 7, then your old computer will serve you well for a few more years yet!

I have put a copy of Win7 x64 Ultimate on one of my old boxes just for the heck of it, and it is like greased lightning! (by my standards, anyway!) That's with an old AMD Athlon x64 processor that is rated at 2.8GHz (really only 1.8GHz). Don't use it at all: Still working with XP on my (even) older computers mostly.

Edited by AustrAlien, 13 August 2011 - 01:14 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

I ran that program and it said my graphics card isn't compatible with Windows Aero. It found a few other small issues but nothing major. It told me I would need to purchase the 32 bit version if I did decide to get it.

Bludgard, so you think the system would be okay? I don't want to slow it down any.

I got the same notification about the AERO theme thing on this computer. At first AERO didn't work, but after an update from Windows Update (maybe a graphics one?), AERO is working fine. :dance: (Not saying you will get the same results).
I don't think your machine will suffer by installing Windows 7. The machine I am typing this on was made for XP and has 1GB of RAM. I put 7 Pro X32 on it and it runs just as well as XP did (or better; 7 uses more RAM but handles it a lot more efficiently).
If you have any doubts or concerns, image the hard drive as is, install 7 as a trial. If things run amok, reimage the drive back to XP. Nothing could be easier.

#8 cgirl0111

cgirl0111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

I've actually attempted to upgrade the graphics card in this pc before - for whatever reason my pcie slot won't work. Tried two different cards.

I figured that seven would be a lot more effcient and speed up the computer.. just didn't want to rush out and buy it and be like oh noooooooooooo afterwards. ;)

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

Why purchase the OS when you can test drive it for a month before making the decision to buy? Borrow Windows 7 (32 bit) install media from a friend and run Setup. Please create backup/image before going this route. You will not regret having an easy out in case of troubles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users