Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So I believe something in my PC is killing my video cards.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NyanCat

NyanCat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

Well here we go--

I'm not sure what's doing it, but so far I've had 2, almost nearly 3 collisions with video cards dying on me.

I haven't really upgraded my computer since 2007. The only things I've gotten have been new ram, a new HD, and a new motherboard (2009). Well my computer recently killed my Nvidia7600 video card coincidentally 1 month after my GTX260 died. (I was informed by someone that I had a strong enough power supply for the GTX, and evidently it turns out I didn't, so I'm assuming that's what actually trashed that card.)

So I'm like eh.. I try out a 8800GTS and it immediately heats up to 181 F, so we shut the computer down... so I'm thinking maybe my power supply is killing video cards. I haven't even replaced that since 2k7.

Here's a couple of things I have in my PC:

The power supply is 620 or 640 watts from what I remember. I can't find the label for it.
Motherboard: AMD Anthlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00 GHZ

I was assuming those were the main things that needed to be known but eh..

Either way, I think something went bad recently to make all those things happen so quickly. It's like my computer all of a sudden can't handle video cards outside of it's own motherboard's card.

Anyhow thanks for the replies. I don't have a clue how to know if the hardware is bad if it is.. I also heard that AMD motherboards like to overheat things, but I've never had an issue before.

Edited by NyanCat, 11 August 2011 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:10 PM

When you say it immediately heated up to 181F (~82C), this was during boot up?

Overheating GPUs are usually caused by one of two issues.

The first being that your running many GPU intensive tasks such as video editing/rendering or intensive video games.

The second being that your PSU just doesn't have enough juice to run it so the GPU works harder to try and get the power it needs. A standard computer with an 8800GTS needs roughly 400 watts. Seeing that you have between 620 - 640 watts you should be okay. If you have more than normal components in your computer it may drain more watts away from the GPU. Stuff like extra cards, neon tubes, fans, etc. can all drain the power from your GPU, but if you are truly running between 620 - 640 I couldn't see where you would be loosing all that power.

Also, check to make sure you have more than adequate airflow in your case. As simple as it sounds, you'd be surprised how hot GPUs can get when they don't have room.

Btw, LOVE the name and welcome to BC! :welcome:

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 11 August 2011 - 11:11 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 NyanCat

NyanCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

When you say it immediately heated up to 181F (~82C), this was during boot up?

Overheating GPUs are usually caused by one of two issues.

The first being that your running many GPU intensive tasks such as video editing/rendering or intensive video games.

The second being that your PSU just doesn't have enough juice to run it so the GPU works harder to try and get the power it needs. A standard computer with an 8800GTS needs roughly 400 watts. Seeing that you have between 620 - 640 watts you should be okay. If you have more than normal components in your computer it may drain more watts away from the GPU. Stuff like extra cards, neon tubes, fans, etc. can all drain the power from your GPU, but if you are truly running between 620 - 640 I couldn't see where you would be loosing all that power.

Also, check to make sure you have more than adequate airflow in your case. As simple as it sounds, you'd be surprised how hot GPUs can get when they don't have room.

Btw, LOVE the name and welcome to BC! :welcome:

Yeah, it was during bootup. I loaded up NTune and noticed that it was 181F and the video card artifacted a tiny bit.

My concern was that something is starting to perhaps go wrong with my CPU. It should be fine with the amount of watts my power supply holds, but at the same token, not only did my good graphics card get destroyed, but then my 7600 got destroyed not long after, and I've had that card for 4 years, and it's been perfectly fine.. But the fan quit spinning correctly on it. I just found it to be too much of a coincidence for it to die so fast after the other one. ..And then the 8800 immediately decides it's not going to work correctly.. so I'm worried something has gone very bad. I mean my computer works completely fine currently with the built in graphics card (I'm on it right now.)

And thanks :P I figured poptart cats should post on this forum as well :P Oh and I'm from South Carolina gardevoir =P Figured I'd say that randomly since I noticed your location ^

Thanks for the reply btw. I was out of town for the past 3 days.

Edited by NyanCat, 14 August 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:58 AM

What psu are u using out of curiousity?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users