Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winlogon.exe - Entry Point Not Found

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fade2black22

Fade2black22

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

My brother asked me to restore his older computer for him to the earliest possible time. i started the restoration and then the computer rebooted itself. It then comes up with the error The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll. and freezes. Im even unable to push "OK" to continue. Now the computer does not go to the desktop at all. Ive tried rebooting it several times with the same result. Ive tried to reboot it in safe mode, with no avail. What can i do??

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2011 - 07:19 PM.
Moved from XP to Am i Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

System manufacturer and model?

What is meant by..."restore his older computer for him to the earliest possible time"? Using Windows System Restore?

What was wrong with the system...that prompted this request from your brother?

Louis

#3 Fade2black22

Fade2black22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

its an emachines model T2896 with windows sp. He wanted me to restore it using the windows system restore because he said it was way too slow and he thought he might have a virus. so he wanted me to go back before his wife started downloading all of the games.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

I don't use System Restore...but my guess is that it is not an effective tool against malware.

If malaware is on the system, I suggest that this topic be moved to a forum which deals with such...they can attempt to assist you with removal of such, if infected.

I will move this to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users