Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud, annoying continous beeping sound after bios

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 williamlhixson

williamlhixson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

I honestly did try to search for this, but all I found were results for POST codes. This is a annoying loud continuous beeping sound. This happens after the boot diagnostics, at the point where windows should boot up. There is a cursor in the upper right corner, and that is all it does.

This is a HP Pavilion Elite m9040n PC. It came with Windows Vista, and I am upgrading to Windows 7. I stupidly didn't run upgrade advisor, and am now regretting it.

When I go to HP to find drivers, no Windows 7 drivers show up for this PC. Stupidly, again, I assumed this meant that they were packaged in with Windows 7.

I don't think this is a hardware issue. It happens repeatedly at boot up, but when I put the installation CD in, the PC boots off the CD just fine. This probably doesn't eliminate any hard drive issues, but the PC wasn't showing any signs before, and the installation goes through without a hitch. Is this caused by not having compatible drivers? Are there computers that can't be upgraded? I do meet the minimum requirements. 2.4 Ghz, 3 GB Ram. What may I be missing?

I truly appreciate any help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:56 AM

Sounds like a keyboard key is stuck in the down position.

#3 williamlhixson

williamlhixson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

No, like I said in my post, it can't be a hardware problem, since it doesn't do it when I boot in any other fashion. Since no one knows what is going on, I will just figure it out myself.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

You will probably find some pertinent information by browsing BIOS Beep Codes for your particular machine.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

Since no one knows what is going on, I will just figure it out myself.

Okay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users