Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compac computer memory prob..?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PerformanceX

PerformanceX

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

My girlfriend's Compac computer has for a while been running real crappy and slow. Then it decided to start doing this thing where it won't boot, just sits on the startup screen with the Compac logo and the F1/F8/F11 options displayed. I could get it to boot by doing F11 and then running System Restore to go back a few days. I found that once I got it going, I could restart it and it would fire up just fine over and over, but if I did a full shutdown, it again would not restart. This problem had been ongoing, but the things got worse and it started randomly giving me the Blue Screen of Death. After I saw blue too many times, I finally last week decided to do some physical troubleshooting, and discovered a strange anomaly with the RAM. It has 2 slots, and each slot has a 1GB stick in it. I found that the computer runs beautifully (fast, reliable) with only 1 stick in it. I can put either stick in either slot and it runs great, but as soon as I try to run it with both RAM sticks in, it fails. I haven't done any long-term testing with either stick in either slot, but I did try each combination a few times and got successful fast boot-ups and ran a few programs with no failure.
The machine is a Compac, (made by H-P of course) model SR533WM, running Vista Home w/ SP2, and AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.20GHz.

Anybody heard of such a problem? I am confused as to WHY this could be happening.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

Support Page for Compaq Presario SR5333WM Desktop

Easy things, first :): http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph03560&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=&lang=&lc=en&product=3653071

More difficult: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso AND Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152 . Suggested methodology for testing is important.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users